Comparing Warranties

/ Comparing Warranties #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
New, Used, and Extended Warranties.
Who offers the best warranty today, and what changes will we see in the future?
And just how negotiable are warranties anyway?

Just to kick things off, here's what I remember about the warranty when we bought the M59 (Kubota) in 2007. It was pretty simple: everything on the tractor for two years. This was a new tractor warranty even though the tractor itself was a demo with about 30 hrs on it. We were offered an an additional year of warranty available for around $1100. I don't believe we bought that.

We did write down right on the sales contract who was responsible for hauling the tractor if it needed to go back to the shop.
However, we didn't add any notes to the sales contract about loaner machines, payments due while being repaired, or what happens to the warranty on a part that has been replaced. Those are things I'll be sure address next time we buy... not anticipating problems, but just so we all know what to expect.

We won't forget that our warranty had expired by a few months when the backhoe boom main hydraulic cylinder suddenly failed. That cylinder is a a simple job to replace, but an expensive part. Kubota sent out their service truck & replaced it with a new cylinder at no charge.
rScotty

/ Comparing Warranties #2  

Just to kick things off, here's what I remember about the warranty when we bought the M59 (Kubota) in 2007. It was pretty simple: everything on the tractor for two years. This was a new tractor warranty even though the tractor itself was a demo with about 30 hrs on it. We were offered an an additional year of warranty available for around $1100. I don't believe we bought that.

We did write down right on the sales contract who was responsible for hauling the tractor if it needed to go back to the shop.
However, we didn't add any notes to the sales contract about loaner machines, payments due while being repaired, or what happens to the warranty on a part that has been replaced. Those are things I'll be sure address next time we buy... not anticipating problems, but just so we all know what to expect.

We won't forget that our warranty had expired by a few months when the backhoe boom main hydraulic cylinder suddenly failed. That cylinder is a a simple job to replace, but an expensive part. Kubota sent out their service truck & replaced it with a new cylinder at no charge.
rScotty

Extended warranties usually aren't worth the paper they are printed on when it all shakes out. yeah theres always that guy that says it saved me 100,000 on something. But when you look at the math in terms of what you paid, actual claims etc the buyer of the warranty loses more times than not. Problem with extended warranties is specially ones that aftermarket is they will say 7 years, but in reality if the factory warranty is 4 years, you really only have three years of extended warranty. Factory original warranties are great and sometimes factory extended can make sense, but you have to factor in cost etc.

Last edited:
   / Comparing Warranties #3  
I'm not concerned much about warranties, as I tend to fix most issues myself unless catastrophic. But seeing as how I recently bought an RK24 and it's fresh in my mind from reading their literature, here's RK's text right off their website. Just one to add to the mix of what others will post for JD, Kubota, etc.

"Our 19-55HP tractors come with a 2-year full machine warranty and 8-year, 3000-hour powertrain warranty and our 74HP tractors come with a 2-year full machine warranty and 5-year, 3000-hour powertrain warranty. Our warranty has no deductible and includes parts & labor."

/ Comparing Warranties #4  
The best warranty is one you never have to collect from. Extended warranties are mostly commission for the sales guy. Generally speaking, the extended warranty cost will cover the cost of 99% of the failures that might statistically occur in the extended warranty period. I never buy extended warranties...if the extended warranties are expensive to get then I would reconsider the purchase and probably buy a different brand from a vendor who has better confidence in their products.

/ Comparing Warranties #5  
When comparing factory warranty coverages one has to dig a little deeper. As I was comparing New Holland to Mahindra they raved about the industrys best warranty at seven years. New Holland's six year Boomer care specifically listed all seals and gaskets are covered. Mahindra specifically excluded any exterior seals that are exposed to the atmosphere. So for instance a front crank seal would not be covered after the two year period...read carefully and ask dealer for a copy of the factory warranty.

/ Comparing Warranties #6  

rScotty
ALWAYS read the fine print on ANY Warranty

/ Comparing Warranties #7  
Yanmar now has a 10 year/3000hr powertrain warranty. Not sure how long their bumper to bumper warranty is without doing some digging.

News / Events - Yanmar Tractor

/ Comparing Warranties
ALWAYS read the fine print on ANY Warranty

I hope most TBNers do that.... Or do they?
We go over the warranties now pretty carefully with big purchases.
At least we do so now after really getting shafted on a land transaction. It only takes once....

For buying the M59 I made an appointment to sit down with the dealer's sales manager & we went through the warranty, the financing, the accessories, and delivery info line by line. It took about an hour over lunch and near as I could tell it was enjoyable for everyone. We made notes & initialed them right on the sales contract when things needed to be made clear.

About the only thing we discovered going over the paperwork was that the warranty didn't specify who was responsible for hauling the tractor. We both felt that that should fall on the dealer during the warranty, but it wasn't spelled out so we added it.

After reading here about how long some warranty work can take, I'll probably add something to the next warranty agreement that covers what happens while we don't have the use of the tractor. The key to anything like that is to make it reasonable for everyone.
rScotty

/ Comparing Warranties #9  
Yanmar now has a 10 year/3000hr powertrain warranty. Not sure how long their bumper to bumper warranty is without doing some digging.

News / Events - Yanmar Tractor

The problem with some of these 10 year 100k mile type deals is they are more advertising than anything. Granted if it comes with it I will take it, it doesn't hurt to have it. A lot of times these long term power train warranties cover everything internal and nothing external, which short of your engine imploding nothing else will be covered. Like I said it is what it is, comes with it I'll take it but paying extra the numbers usually is not the buyers favor.

/ Comparing Warranties
The problem with some of these 10 year 100k mile type deals is they are more advertising than anything. Granted if it comes with it I will take it, it doesn't hurt to have it. A lot of times these long term power train warranties cover everything internal and nothing external, which short of your engine imploding nothing else will be covered. Like I said it is what it is, comes with it I'll take it but paying extra the numbers usually is not the buyers favor.

That's exactly why to go over the warranty line by line with the dealer. But frankly if Yanmar covers internals then that would be fine. with me. It's still a pretty good warranty & I can handle most external things myself.

We found that out about "internal vs external" during the recent flooding here. Our place was devastated, but we had flood insurance. BUT......

FEMA's Flood Insurance only covers things that are inside the outside paint on the house. We found out the hard way that means just what it says: FEMA flood insurance does NOT cover anything that sticks out past the paint on the outside of the house. For example, the insurance doesn't cover the porch, rails, deck, trim, doors, windows, shutters, hose bibs, soffets, gutters, electrical service & outlets, water or sewer lines...... or any part of the roof which overhangs the outside walls.
rScotty