Compacting "gravel"/"item 4"/"road base". Rent a Roller?

/ Compacting "gravel"/"item 4"/"road base". Rent a Roller?
You would be amazed what a difference even a small homeowner plate compactor and a good soaking of water will do after grading new crushed rock. Very sandy here and unless it's compacted next hard rain it's in the ditch and woods. Bought a cheap harbor freight compactor 10 years ago for a project. Have used it at many neighbor's rerocking. No washouts and hard as concrete if good crushed rock graded, watered and compacted. Water runs off instead of eroding.

I've been looking for an excuse to buy a plate compactor for a couple small projects but figured it would be too tough to maneuver up and down the slope of the road. I suppose I could just compact downhill and bring in back up the slope with the TLB or some such.

The HF is certainly price attractive but I'm hesitant due to reliability concerns. You seem to think well of it though.

Most of the mix I've gotten is damp, and packs pretty well, to fill ruts and holes, even just driving over it with the TLB and floating the bucket on it. Though it does seem to form vehicle tracks sooner than I think it should.

/ Compacting "gravel"/"item 4"/"road base". Rent a Roller? #12  
I have an HF plate compactor for about 2 years now. It works fine and I've not had any reliability problems with it, or any problems for that matter. I do not have a rock driveway (yet). I do dig trenches for various things and use it to compact the soil as I fill the trench back in. I've also welded 4 eye bolts to the frame so I can lift the compactor in and out of the trenches.

/ Compacting "gravel"/"item 4"/"road base". Rent a Roller? #15  
Here u go ultra.

Not much to look at but runs like a top.

And I felt I got a good deal
I like it!

Could really use one in WA for the long gravel drive... now it's pothole repair compacted with the end of a 4x4... my tractors are in CA and I really miss not having one here... the BX would be awesome...

/ Compacting "gravel"/"item 4"/"road base". Rent a Roller? #16  
Someone mentioned adding water. I’m a retired land surveyor but did material testing over the years. We had a nuclear testing gauge and materials have an optimum moisture content for the best compaction. I was always surprised at how wet gravel looked when it was at its ideal moisture.

In other words no mater how you compact it adding water will make it a lot better. If it’s dry you won’t compact it at all.

/ Compacting "gravel"/"item 4"/"road base". Rent a Roller? #17  
I like it!

Could really use one in WA for the long gravel drive... now it's pothole repair compacted with the end of a 4x4... my tractors are in CA and I really miss not having one here... the BX would be awesome...
In Chehalis at Ritchie Brothers Auction. The auction is the 9th.

/ Compacting "gravel"/"item 4"/"road base". Rent a Roller? #18  
Keep saying someday but that day has been getting pushed back for 20 years now…

/ Compacting "gravel"/"item 4"/"road base". Rent a Roller? #19  
Planning to add stone to drive/road. Over the years I have regraded after a storm and well as adding fresh from time to time. All those times it was just a matter of running the tractor back and forth countless times and "back dragging" the front bucket for a smooth(ish) finish.

This time thinking of doing a heavier spread of 3-6 inches (more in some spots), so will probably need a few loads of 15 yards, maybe more.

Question is, how likely is it this can be adequately compacted the way I've been doing it? Or is renting a roller the right thing?
I live in your area in Bearsville. I've had pretty good luck with #4 and just back drag it. I don't due more than 1.5 to 2" thick. I find my 6' landscape rake is useful to spread the material out and then I back drag.

/ Compacting "gravel"/"item 4"/"road base". Rent a Roller? #20  
Planning to add stone to drive/road. Over the years I have regraded after a storm and well as adding fresh from time to time. All those times it was just a matter of running the tractor back and forth countless times and "back dragging" the front bucket for a smooth(ish) finish.

This time thinking of doing a heavier spread of 3-6 inches (more in some spots), so will probably need a few loads of 15 yards, maybe more.

Question is, how likely is it this can be adequately compacted the way I've been doing it? Or is renting a roller the right thing?
For 35 years had a gravel drive as you describe. This was crushed limestone so it would (when I asked) come with the fines included. Spread the gravel and before it dried out, drive the pickup or SUV back and forth to compact the gravel. Tried a roller but it did not have enough psi to pack the gravel tight as the wheels.