Common sayings that are wrong or butchered

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #291  
It's an old joke but actually as a teenager I did work at a service station and we all had nicknames. I worked with a guy my age "monkey". The station had most pumps in front, a few in back. A customer pulls up "where's monkey?". Without thinking I said "he's pumping Ethyl in the rear".

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #292  
PIN Number
VIN Number
TIN Number. Etc.
Personal identification number number
Vehicle identification number number
Tax identification number number

Don’t forget HIN Number
Hull identification number

And a bird in the bush is worth 2 in the hand!

😂

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #293  
reb said:
I was in my teens before I realized a chest of drawers wasn't a "chester drawers."

What part of what country did you grow up in?

Sounds like the southern United States.
American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God. I'm a Yankee's worst nightmare. A redneck with an education.

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #294  
And that's actually "Chest of draws". No er on the end. Drawers are what you put in the draws. :LOL:
Plug "draw pulls" into your favorite search engine. You will find "drawer pulls" in most of the results. It would appear that usage has changed.

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #295  
Plug "draw pulls" into your favorite search engine. You will find "drawer pulls" in most of the results. It would appear that usage has changed.
Mine says "did you mean drawer pulls".

Not the usage that changed, tech is better at helping you find things even if you cannot spell or don't know the right word.

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #296  
There’s a lot of word Karen’s.

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #297  
Don’t forget HIN Number
Hull identification number

And a bird in the bush is worth 2 in the hand!

😂
Here's to America, the land of the push
where a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
but if in the bush a fair maiden stand,
a push in the bush is worth two in the hand!

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #298  
Years ago, when gas had lead, we had 2 types of gasoline, regular and Ethyl.
Ethyl was the higher octane.
I remember premium gas being referred to as high test. Might have been a regional thing, was in a different part of the country and got a blank look when I asked for it. Now that you mentioned it, that term went away after the switch to unleaded.
Don't ever recall anyone calling it ethyl.
Wasn't it a different color too? Bluish or something?
Once upon a time Sunoco gas was blue, they even advertised it as "blue Sunoco". Again, that went away some time in the 70s.

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #299  
I remember premium gas being referred to as high test. Might have been a regional thing, was in a different part of the country and got a blank look when I asked for it. Now that you mentioned it, that term went away after the switch to unleaded.
Don't ever recall anyone calling it ethyl.

Once upon a time Sunoco gas was blue, they even advertised it as "blue Sunoco". Again, that went away some time in the 70s.
I remember the dials on Sunoco fuel pumps...you could dial up the octane...I think the highest was 270...not sure what the actual octane was...

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #300  
I remember the dials on Sunoco fuel pumps...you could dial up the octane...I think the highest was 270...not sure what the actual octane was...
I had forgotten about that. I always went for the cheap stuff.