Cold weather starting

/ Cold weather starting #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
OK, I don't get it.

The BIG SNOW came Wednesday night . I put the Kubota B7200 battery on the 1 amp trickle charger overnight in order to assure a good start at 6:00 Thurs. morning so I could clear a way out of the drive. That little dynamo just never leaves the battery topped off.

Wade out to the open tractor shed through the knee deep fluffy snow in the morning darkness. Unclip and stow the trickle charger, swing a leg over and set down. Hold the key in the "GLOW HEAT" position for the slow count of 30. Turn the key to run the starter motor. Whirr Whhrr, chuff chuff, a bit of black smoke, But no start. Lather rinse repeat until the battery just tells me, "No MORE".

Clip on the trickle Charger, and start up the gas tractor with the push blade and clear enough of a path to get out.

Come back home in the evening after having the trickle charger on all day. A repeat of the above described performance.

In disgust, I hook on the 6 amp charger to replace the 1 amp trickle and go in to have supper.

Trudge back to the tractor shed about an hour later, after a pleasant supper with my wife.. Unhook, swing a leg over and into the seat, hold the key in "glow heat" for the slow count of 30. Dang thing starts RIGHT UP without fanfare.

What a puzzle!

No real benefit to having it start. The impeller shear bolt failed after only about 60 feet of blowing. Early season rocks! ;-(

But why did it start right up?

Temps were around 15 degrees the night before, and all day, might have hit 20 mid day while I was gone.

/ Cold weather starting #2  
I would start by cleaning the battery terminals and cable ends good, be sure to also clean the ground connection to the frame.

While you have the battery out for cleaning, take it to a parts store and have them test it.

/ Cold weather starting #3  
my opinion/advice/suggestion - if it has a block heater, use that instead of a trickle charger.

My experience with my equipment is that a good battery will always start in cold weather; have never used a trickle charger. Once a battery fails, I just get a new one (assuming no odd scenarios, like a parasitic drain).

Last edited:
   / Cold weather starting #4  
I only use trickle chargers for keeping batteries up while being stored (for winter).

They are about useless (and not intended for) trying to "help" start an engine.

Sounds like your battery is either sized too small, or on it's way out. I personally am a fan of the AGM style batteries for better tolerance of inclement (either hot or cold) weather.

Also, a "slow 30 count" (45-60 seconds?) is a LONG time to have the glow plugs on.

/ Cold weather starting
Question to me, IS,, What did the 6 amp charger do that the "topped off and warmed up by trickle charger" didn't do?

Same battery,

Last use was lots of operating time to charge the battery with the tractors system. I would have considered NOT putting on the trickle charger and expected it to start, It always has. "but a storm was a commin'", and I wanted to be sure.

30 seconds is right out of the operators literature.

As mentioned, The engine started RIGHT UP after supper. ??? Right up!

/ Cold weather starting #6  
Three years ago I put a REALLY BIG AGM battery in my Kubota M6040. It's an Odyssey M31 - PC2150ST. This new battery is very heavy - 83# - and was not easy to lift across the front of the tractor to install. However - I did it and almost blew a nut in the process. I've found there is no need to keep a battery maintainer on this battery continuously. Once every three months - for 24 hours or so - just to top it off.

Another little "trick" I use in the winter. I'm retired so this comes in real handy. Look at the outside temps BEFORE you barge outside to do that project. Does it REALLY need to be done when the weather is this cold? If it can wait until it's warmer - so much the better.

Even in the coldest weather my "glow plug" position will remain on for a max of six to eight seconds. The tractor has always fired up the first time.

/ Cold weather starting #7  
OK, I don't get it.

battery on the 1 amp trickle charger overnight in order to assure a good start

Come back home in the evening after having the trickle charger on all day. A repeat of the above described performance.

In disgust, I hook on the 6 amp charger to replace the 1 amp trickle and go in to have supper.

Trudge back to the tractor shed about an hour later,

hold the key in "glow heat" for the slow count of 30. Dang thing starts RIGHT UP without fanfare.

What a puzzle!

But why did it start right up?

1A TC NG?

They don't last forever. Gas guzzler might not have needed it to start.

/ Cold weather starting #8  
Block heater on a timer does the trick every time.

/ Cold weather starting #9  
That 6 amp charger not only properly charged the battery, but also warmed it in the process. If the battery is getting older and has less output, the cold would lower its efficiency even more.

/ Cold weather starting #10  
1A TC NG?

They don't last forever.

Don't think I've ever had one go bad, but I was wondering the same thing. If there's no ammeter on it you wouldn't know.
Even my Kioti, which is quite cold-blooded doesn't need more than a couple 20 sec cycles with the glow plugs.
We didn't get enough snow this far north to even bother with plowing (maybe 6"). Just letting it pack down for a base.

Block heater on a timer does the trick every time.

Even a droplight with a 100W bulb under the hood helps. That's all I do.