Cold starting a to 35 w/ Standard diesel

/ Cold starting a to 35 w/ Standard diesel
When the block heater touches the interior metal of the water jacket, there is no coolant at the contact point and the element overheats and burns out.
I think that is exactly what happened. The element was already about as short in length as one would imagine they could make it and there was still no orientation that prevents it from touching the sleeve liner. I will, have to try something different. However, for whatever reason the tractor has been starting fine without a heater these days, even on cold mornings :)

/ Cold starting a to 35 w/ Standard diesel #22  
I think that is exactly what happened. The element was already about as short in length as one would imagine they could make it and there was still no orientation that prevents it from touching the sleeve liner. I will, have to try something different. However, for whatever reason the tractor has been starting fine without a heater these days, even on cold mornings :)

They also make zero clearance block heaters. My block heater consists of a sleeve that presses into the freeze port, and the element threads into the sleeve. The element doesn't extend into the block.

/ Cold starting a to 35 w/ Standard diesel #23  
My TO-35 23c Standard diesel starts extremely easy after the engine is warmed up, but fairly hard when engine is cold, and nearly impossible when it is below freezing out. I have used a space heater and blanket in cold weather in the past, but that is a pain and only semi effective. I have been thinking about installing a block heater to make cold starting easier. There are lots of options and I am unsure of which to use. There are magnetic heaters that just attach to the block, there are inexpensive heating pads that can be put on the oil pan, engine block and/or battery. There are radiator hose in-line heaters at a rough glance seem to be the best bet. There are freeze plug heaters that seem that they might be "iffy" to install. All of these come in various wattages. I am not sure if heating the engine iron, oil, the water, the battery, or the fuel is most effective. I would guess heating the water is most effective. Any experience based advice would be appreciated.
We had a block heater in Dad's MF35. We also sat an insulaated blanket over the hood, to help keep the heat in. Started every time.

/ Cold starting a to 35 w/ Standard diesel #24  
My TO-35 23c Standard diesel starts extremely easy after the engine is warmed up, but fairly hard when engine is cold, and nearly impossible when it is below freezing out. I have used a space heater and blanket in cold weather in the past, but that is a pain and only semi effective. I have been thinking about installing a block heater to make cold starting easier. There are lots of options and I am unsure of which to use. There are magnetic heaters that just attach to the block, there are inexpensive heating pads that can be put on the oil pan, engine block and/or battery. There are radiator hose in-line heaters at a rough glance seem to be the best bet. There are freeze plug heaters that seem that they might be "iffy" to install. All of these come in various wattages. I am not sure if heating the engine iron, oil, the water, the battery, or the fuel is most effective. I would guess heating the water is most effective. Any experience based advice would be appreciated.
That thing should have had a block heater 50 years ago. You dragging. I had block heaters in every available hole, lower radiator hose heater, magnet heater on oil pan. Put a u haul blanket over the hood, plugged all that in for 30.375 minutes, I was cranking a hot engine that always busted right off. I hate starting a cold diesel because it is so hard on the engine, and I want my things to last. And yes, I have had an English Standard Diesel.

/ Cold starting a to 35 w/ Standard diesel #25  
Harry Ferguson produced the Fe35 in England with the 23C engine in it
He exported them to Canada with a cold climate kit fitted to it
It had glow plugs fitted to each cylinder and an immersion heater in the bottom hose, I’ve received post from Canada that say they start down to -20 degrees
The FE 35 I have was fitted with 2 6 volt batteries but I changed it to a 12 volt but I have seen two 12 volt batteries in series giving 12 volts but a higher amperage that made the engine turn over faster, it was always poor compression that caused it not to start
I was told they were fitted with 2 different head gaskets a thin one and a thicker one and the thinner one gave better compression

/ Cold starting a to 35 w/ Standard diesel #26  
do a forum search. a while back the same complaint from someone who later installed a block plug heater. bingo.
i had the same TO model for 28 yrs. yes it's hard starting in cold. i would cheat sometimes & use ether. (prob not recommended)
as a footnote, look at your intake. it has a large plug for a factory heater install. but i'm sure impossible to find now. & yes, it was a smooth running engine. has yours been converted to 12v? regards

Last edited:
   / Cold starting a to 35 w/ Standard diesel
Yes, It has been converted to 12 volt. It also has glow plugs which I had to replace and re-wire several years ago. There is a plug for an intake manifold heater but I don't have one for it. I keep the battery on a maintenance charger at all times during the winter months which helps in starting tremendously. The tractor has been starting well this winter, even though I have never installed another water heater after the two I tried failed. I do admit that I give it about a 1/2 second burst (no longer than that!) of ether if it is near or below freezing out. If it is really-really cold, I just my other cabbed tractor.

I have no idea how many hours it has on it, but it is more than just a few thousand. The hour meter was long broken, showing 2800 hrs when I bought it in 1985. I did a complete head-to-foot overhaul on it around 2010 or so. It runs quite well and I still prefer to use it more often than not. I have a newer Branson 4720CH that I use for heavy work and FEL needs, but the TO35 is the go-to for mowing my very hilly 45 acres, mainly because it feels so much more stable and less prone to roll over on the side slopes than does the Branson. I also use it for spreading fertilizer, grading my long entrance road, harrowing, etc.

/ Cold starting a to 35 w/ Standard diesel #28  
I had a TO 35 decades ago and tried everything to get it to start below freezing. Nothing worked. If you have the Continental engine, which is likely, you are screwed.
It's a Perkins diesel. Continental only made gassers for Massey-Ferguson; That's according to my manual. & it always starts right up M-F 50 1959.

/ Cold starting a to 35 w/ Standard diesel #29  
It's a Perkins diesel. Continental only made gassers for Massey-Ferguson; That's according to my manual. & it always starts right up M-F 50 1959.
The engine this tractor had the TO 35 prior to 1959 had a Standard Motor Diesel produced in the UK. Perkins diesel were introduced in 1959.

/ Cold starting a to 35 w/ Standard diesel #30  
It's a Perkins diesel. Continental only made gassers for Massey-Ferguson; That's according to my manual. & it always starts right up M-F 50 1959. can do
the Perkins 3 cyl diesel was used in the MF135, not in the earlier model TO35
(that had either Standard 4cyl diesel or Continental 4cyl gasser)

Last edited: