Cognitive bias....

/ Cognitive bias....
One of the biggest keys to profitable farming is lowering your input costs. Remember the old adages about farming? “farming is the only business where you buy all your supplies at retail, then sell all your crops at wholesale”
Find any way you can to decrease your input costs. If I were in your shoes, I’d be looking for cheap sources of fertilizer (local poultry houses, sources of organic fertilizer). Ask your landowners if they’d be ok with it before you spread…..just in case they aren’t…..some aren’t.
Find the cheapest source of reliable off road diesel and get a good storage tank. Go talk to your local farm bank/credit union/extension.
Get soil samples off your fields and send them to your local testing labs and see what each field needs.
You may have a local customer base looking for organic grown hay. That has been a gold mine for me. People are getting away from ingesting chemicals not just in their bodies, but in the bodies of the animals they eat, too. ;)
All done except for the tank for diesel. I think the next thing I’m going for is a bigger trailer to reduce trips back and forth moving equipment or hay. My little 18+4 can barely fit the big tractor let alone any implements. Not to say I don’t have all kinds of notifications set up for storage tanks as well.

/ Cognitive bias.... #22  
Ever stare at a problem for over a year, prepare yourself to spend money on it, then one day the light comes on?
All the time. Anything that’s not critical, give it time to solve itself. I live where there’s a mix of hobby farmers (me) and real farmers. The real farmers don’t spend a nickel unless they have to, to make a dime.

/ Cognitive bias.... #24  
All done except for the tank for diesel. I think the next thing I’m going for is a bigger trailer to reduce trips back and forth moving equipment or hay. My little 18+4 can barely fit the big tractor let alone any implements. Not to say I don’t have all kinds of notifications set up for storage tanks as well.

Well you and I can look for trailers together. I have been looking for a heavy duty gooseneck dump for 1-2 years.
Since Covid, all I can find is small cookie cutter stuff lol

/ Cognitive bias.... #25  
I wonder how many things we look at a certain way based on past experience. Some things, once seen you cannot unsee. I'm in the process of cleaning out an old machine shed that to me I haven't seen in 60yrs, when I was very young. Nothing has changed in it since that time. Funny how I know certain things about the machines within it, yet I can't recall any interactions with them.

Attachments

• boy-bat.jpg
    boy-bat.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 61
   / Cognitive bias....
I wonder how many things we look at a certain way based on past experience. Some things, once seen you cannot unsee. I'm in the process of cleaning out an old machine shed that to me I haven't seen in 60yrs, when I was very young. Nothing has changed in it since that time. Funny how I know certain things about the machines within it, yet I can't recall any interactions with them.
I bet all of them.

why it’s so important to keep exploring and listing to other views even when we don’t agree. May weaken, or strengthen your own convictions or thought processes.

/ Cognitive bias.... #27  
I have learned over multiple projects, including one that almost burned my rv down yesterday. to stare at it for a while, panic for 10 seconds of what a nightmare its going to be, but like other said. sleep on it even maybe more then a day. i have found the solution generally comes the next day, which if I didn't wait prolly would have been 10 times harder, by not considering something.

/ Cognitive bias.... #28  
I don't have a rear blade for the tractor - thought it would be useful for snow season.

Box Blade was already attached, and I thought Why Not ? ... worked great to break up the ice as well as moving snow. I probably don't need a rear blade after all. Priorities of implements-to-purchase have now shifted to wood chipper, pallet forks etc.

/ Cognitive bias.... #29  
I believe in everything YUP! that way it
don't leave me any room for an argument!:ROFLMAO:

willy

/ Cognitive bias.... #30  
I'll run ideas through my head for hours or days if need be to figure it out. One of the reasons I like the CAD softwares I use. I can model it up to flesh out an idea, move it around and look at it from different angles and change it if needed. I like to see what else is out in the market and you tube it to see if someone else was clever-er. Dad is also a great sounding board too but tends to get a bit elaborate.