Coffee scoops and coffee makers

/ Coffee scoops and coffee makers #21  
I have found that the quality of the coffee and water has more influence on taste than the coffee maker.

I think using quality water (e.g. RO) helps the taste. If you don't use RO, descaling your coffee maker periodically helps the flavor as well. (In my view)

All the best, Peter
Yes, I stop short of roasting my own but I do buy whole bean and grind my own. The aroma of the freshly ground beans does add to the taste, IMO. IMO, the equipment is more a matter of personal preference Mr.coffee (etal) vs French press vs stove top Percolator. Of the 3 types, Mr. Coffee (etal) are probably the easiest to clean.
I use one tablespoon per 6 oz cup except camping. The camp pot gets a gallon of water, 2 large handfuls coffee and 3 egg shells.

Last edited:
   / Coffee scoops and coffee makers #23  
I make boiled coffee. My Mr Coffee gave up the ghost about two months ago. Grind the beans - fill the hopper - let it boil. After ten minuets of perking - its done.

My hard water and hopper full of ground beans makes a tough cup of joe. Don't like it - there's a Dunkin Doughnut shop - 25 miles away in Spokane.

/ Coffee scoops and coffee makers #24  
20 or so years ago I bought a Bunn at the restaurant supply with 2 12 cup carafes.

I’ve never had a single cup of coffee in my life but make a pot each morning for the surgery unit.

I use to make it with 4 level scoops but the OR manager said it was weak.

I tried 5 and still weak.

Went to 6 scoops and he said perfect.

6 scoops is about 5 dry ounces in a cup measure.

It’s just the regular Costco off the shelf coffee.

I do start with filtered tap water cooler hot water if that makes a difference?
17084339811853231480266970183475.jpg

Last edited:
   / Coffee scoops and coffee makers #25  
While I would love the Bunn coffee maker for the office, we have a cheapie that someone brought in. I make the coffee every morning using whatever we have stock of, and a full 12 cup pot, gets 1/2 cup of grounds. No complaints from any of the drinkers, including myself. At home, the wife doesn't like coffee, so it's a single serve Black and Decker unit I got from Home Hardware, whatever coffee grounds were on sale and three heaping teaspoons of them.

And gotta use honey for a sweetener.

/ Coffee scoops and coffee makers #26  
We had several Keurig coffee makers over the years and I really liked the coffee from them but they didn’t last that long and the pods can be expensive.

/ Coffee scoops and coffee makers #27  
The executive conference room has had several Keurig makers but they don't last... and it's not like they get a lot of use.

My guess is user error although no fesses up to it...

My brother loved his Seco Expresso machine but no longer has one... two $1200 machines broken was enough to cure him...

/ Coffee scoops and coffee makers #28  
Christmas work gift exchange I received 5lb of Starbucks Christmas Blend.

Since I don't drink coffee I said oh look a lifetime supply of Starbucks coffee... the room went silent... best gift of all time some were saying only to be disappointed it was just 5lb but for me a lifetime supply!

/ Coffee scoops and coffee makers #29  
6 tablespoons per 12 cup of coffee

/ Coffee scoops and coffee makers #30  
I switch between coffee makers.
Now I'm using a Nespresso coupled with a milk frother.
Before I was making cowboy coffee on the stove and before that a percolator.