Clearing Snow Off An Open Station

/ Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #51  
My cab tractor has AC too! 😉🙃🙂 Great for those 90-100 days in the summer. I spent many a year in a open station and with the exception for the small subcompact that's used in the horse barn, all my tractors are now cabbed.

I'm cheap - and readily admit it - I buy used low hour (still under warranty) machines so the cabs don't hardly cost anything. My last purchase is the one in my profile pic. Mahindra 2555cl it had less than 50 hrs on it. Was traded back in because it wasn't hydrostatic. Got it for ~20K off new list price with a grapple thrown in to seal the deal. This was "just" pre-covid and I realize supply has been tight since, but if you keep your eyes open (and don't care what color your tractor is - see my other posts regarding this) you can find really good deals out there.

For those that would say buying used is buying someone else's problems, I don't really care. I won't buy a bargain without having factory warranty still left on the machine. Anymore, with the compacts anyway, many that buy these tractors (first time buyers especially) don't understand what they originally really bought, under buy (hp, weight, etc) and the biggest item, being sold something by the dealer that wouldn't sell e.g., a shifter for someone that obviously needed a hydro.

Just my opinion and what has worked for me over the years.
I only have 2 acres to mow... a bit less than what many TBN members think of when mowing. Heck, some have lawns bigger than my field!
About 50% of my use is in the woods... glass is WAY too expensive for that.

/ Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #52  
I only have 2 acres to mow... a bit less than what many TBN members think of when mowing. Heck, some have lawns bigger than my field!
About 50% of my use is in the woods... glass is WAY too expensive for that.
Totally understand your situation and believe you have the right equipment. However, as far as glass goes, my AR FBIC agent charges me ~$50/year for $50 deductible glass insurance. Broke a door because I was stupid - wasn't really looking and caught my door on the Mule while backing up to fuel point, 2 days & $50 later it was all new & shiny (I was fortunate the Mahindra dealer had the door in stock).

Last edited:
   / Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #53  
To all the people recommending a permanent shelter I think I've settled on fixing up my old carriage barn. The loft is rotted and it needs a new roof but structurally it's 100%. It's got old growth rough cut mortise and tenon construction with lag bolts. The walls are dry and the supports are huge. It's older than living memory.
That's gonna take some fixin. Be sure to post your progress, it looks interesting.

/ Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #54  
The idea of a seat heater sure sounds good. Easy to do with a seat cover? Anyone tried this on a open station? Any cab queens have this feature?
IMG_1871.JPG

/ Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #55  
I had forgotten that I had it until you guys started this thread; but years ago my brother gave me something similar to this
1641777889274.png

https://www.amazon.com/Heat-Factory...00SOQ73W/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B000SOQ73W&th=1 which I believe I would throw into the microwave for a time, after which it would stay warm for several hours. After a while it got nasty though, and I didn't want to put it in the same machine which I cook food in.

/ Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #56  
The idea of a seat heater sure sounds good. Easy to do with a seat cover? Anyone tried this on a open station? Any cab queens have this feature?View attachment 728588
Where did you get that seat cover. Every one I have looked at online states that it won’t fit seats with arm rests. I have a Kubota MX6000.

/ Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #57  
Where did you get that seat cover. Every one I have looked at online states that it won’t fit seats with arm rests. I have a Kubota MX6000.

Durafit seat cover, KU05 SST. Perfect fit. Tight and stays in place. Original seat vinyl was starting to crack from being stored outside by previous owners. Specific to several models including TLB, M59. Got it from thru Amazon. Durafit website has more information and contact help.

/ Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #58  
I would second (or third?) Putting up a temporary shelter for this season. Even if the ground is too hard, you can used concrete anchors with steel tubing or even 2x4s to frame it up. I would use the cheapest plywood or med I could find for the roof and tarp 2 walls. (I am thinking like you used to see used for basketball or tetherball... An old tire or the like filled with concrete. Then spend the summer getting that building up. ;)

Ice on your cylinders may not have any immediate effect, but could damage the seals on the them and cause premature failure down the road.

/ Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #59  
FWIW when my tractor had to live outside I covered the cockpit with a tarp. I also installed a lower radiator-hose heating element and set it on a timer so the block would be warm in the morning. I also rigged it with a quick connect/disconnect battery maintainer so the battery would be always up to snuff.

/ Clearing Snow Off An Open Station #60  
I started with the tarp as a temporary with the idea of putting a lean-to off of the garage which would be wonderful but somehow I'm on my 3rd tarp..........

gg