Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #21  
I've heard arguments for and against leaving trees in pasture. Cattle will some times shelter in a storm, and those trees attract lightning; and you Could loose 10+ head off a single lighting strike. What I don't know, is would an open field have the same number of lighting kills over time? In theory, the lighting is gonna strike in the field somewhere, regardless of there not being a tree; but the cattle won't be as tightly packed in the area of the lightning.
My only experience is dairy cattle and they like the shade vs standing in the direct sun. No experience with beef but suspect given option they would head towards shade also.

I would consider Lightning a lesser concern that heat but again that is based on dairy cattle experience.

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #22  
Either way; a very large well rooted tree might cost $3k to remove by itself (say 8 hrs between working it out, raking, burning, back filling, leveling) vs disk around it and loose a 30-50 ft diameter circle of field. Pick your battles. The old 80/20 rule applies; if this isn't all mature woods; you can probably clear 80% of the trees relatively easy/"affordable"; vs 100% clean-clear being Way more work, for relatively low increase in grazing/baling grass.

I say affordable, I mean in comparison, it's not going to be cheap by any means.

Also, your cost vs gains might be better spent on drainage tile in the 150 acres of row crop land.

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #23  
Sorry if this sounds rude, but are you serious? You want to destroy 150 acres of natural wooded area? If you need 300 acres of row crops, why didn't you just buy 300 acres of existing farmland? 150 acres is already a huge farm to manage. I don't get to decide whether this is the right and moral thing for you to do, but you asked for opinions, so mine is: please don't do it.

Do you think most farmland is just magically devoid of trees and it was found that way? OP did not ask for your opinion about whether or not it should be done. If you cared so much you would be out volunteering to plant a few hundred trees a week. But I doubt you are. I planted 280 on my property a month ago....lots of work!

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #24  
As I've suggested before on other threads; print (or order prints) large 24"×36" aerial with lot lines, and sit down and sketch out your plan. Short term decisions could cause problems for the life of the farm (ie roads/water/sheds/canals)

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #25  
I would try to work something out with a logger. I clear small lots here and there with an excavator and it's amazing how quickly that pile of trees and stumps gets big and difficult manage.

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #26  
Is sod busting actually allowed down there ?

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #27  
If you clear a forest and leave a single tree, the wind will usually take it down....

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #28  
I would do some research(talk to a local older farmer?) on why the forested part wasn't cleared years ago, or kept clear if it once was cleared?

I do see people here nibbling away at woodlands to extend fields, but then I also see the big equipment rutting up soft ground as usually its quite wet... Usually there's a reason no one in the previous 100-200 years didn't farm it? What I'm seeing in general here is farmers concentrating on improving their better acreage and marginal farmland is being cut up and sold.

Also I don't see many people pasturing beef anymore, but that may be a local thing, up here with a shorter growing season its more cost effective to run land as hay fields than pasture as you need hay for 5 months of the year in any case...

Maybe try clearing a smaller chunk and see how it goes, or get your woodland professionally evaluated? The woodland may provide a smaller, but with a fraction of the labor and investment, source of income forever, if managed properly?

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #29  
I've heard arguments for and against leaving trees in pasture. Cattle will some times shelter in a storm, and those trees attract lightning; and you Could loose 10+ head off a single lighting strike. What I don't know, is would an open field have the same number of lighting kills over time? In theory, the lighting is gonna strike in the field somewhere, regardless of there not being a tree; but the cattle won't be as tightly packed in the area of the lightning.
Although a distraction to the thread.

IT'S the charge in the ground that results in the lightning strike. The tree has little to do with it. except to congregate the cattle. ;-)

/ Clearing 154 acres of woods in west Tennessee #30  
Get topo map of the property Topographic Maps | U.S. Geological Survey to start to layout fields and low areas - and a water source/pond stream for cattle. You will need about 1.5-2 acres per head on grass and you need to rotate them through fields.

In the low areas leave some of the trees for cover. As far as clearing excavator and dozer as others have said once you have your "plan" and layout.