Clear Cut Land

/ Clear Cut Land
Why do you want to "clean it up"? And what type of pine?
If the rows are 8' apart you may be doing a lot of damage to 3 yr old trees. And at 3 or 4 yrs you may not be losing much.
In our area (Mississippi, Alabama) loblolly is about the fastest growing and takes about 12 to 15 yrs for the first thinning. Longleaf pine grows slower but is more valuable for poles. But with lumber prices that may change.
Do you want to "clean it up"
So it's "pretty" ? - masticate the whole thing and replant. Just be careful of erosion.
For "wildlife"? - just bush hog a few rows. Wildlife likes what's growing there. Everything that's dead (stumps etc.) will rot in 20 or 30 years.
For lumber? - come back in 10 years for first thinning
For lumber/poles - do another thinning at 20 or 30 years.

Buy a skid steer anyways, I've read they are fun.
Great questions.

They are loblolly pines were just planted in Jan 2021. The main purpose was just to basically make it look "pretty". Although, I actually had the same thought you mentioned earlier today. When it comes to wildlife, If I do cut down a lot of that sage and brush, the deer may not hang around as much. I also didn't consider the erosion potential if cleaned up to well.

/ Clear Cut Land #32  
Seventeen years ago I had my 80 acres selectively logged. I ended up with ruts at the log loading site and about six large slash piles. Alternating between the rear blade and then the LPGS took care of the ruts.

I waited three years for the slash piles to dry out. I was prepared to burn them. So ..... I go down in the spring to burn. Almost every slash pile has a band of quail. Holed up, way deep in the pile. The slash piles were never burned. They have been given over to the forrest animals and Mother Nature. It was an excellent decision.

/ Clear Cut Land #33  
Seventeen years ago I had my 80 acres selectively logged. I ended up with ruts at the log loading site and about six large slash piles. Alternating between the rear blade and then the LPGS took care of the ruts.

I waited three years for the slash piles to dry out. I was prepared to burn them. So ..... I go down in the spring to burn. Almost every slash pile has a band of quail. Holed up, way deep in the pile. The slash piles were never burned. They have been given over to the forrest animals and Mother Nature. It was an excellent decision.
What do those slash piles look like now? I imagine they are almost nonexistent. We don't have the fire danger to consider here, but there is NCRS funding for people to build piles for the same effect you're getting naturally.

Last edited:
   / Clear Cut Land #34  
"What do the slash piles look line now". Well, Jstpssng - they are still used by the quail but they are about 1/4 to 1/3 their original size. Been thinking about combining them. Probably only three piles but almost back to the original size. For whatever reason - two of the six piles have never been used by the quail. JMHO - those two piles do not provide the needed protection for the quail.