Cleaning lawn of branches

/ Cleaning lawn of branches #181  
Ha, I love how these threads morph! But yeh anyways, I'm in the Chicago area. My lot and the guy next to me have the 2 smaller lots on our road, around 2.6 acres. The rest of the lots around here are around 5 acres. We're all on hilly terrain, with yards that slope down into floodplains.

The landscaping crew is out there now, they're doing the house on either side of me, one across the road, and the property 2 houses down from here. They got 3 standers and a sitdown z-turn. Another crew that works the properties down the road from here has the same setup, 3 standers and sitdown z-turn. They're all on 52-60" decks.

Also, we just got back from walking our dog down a neighboring road...crews working there were all standers, no sit-down mower at all.

It's certainly true that standers save room on a trailer, so that's part of it. But, ask a landscaper who does this for a living what they prefer to use, what's more convenient, more comfortable, and less tiring...and it's a stander. I only mow my own property, but I could for sure attest.
I would think for a commercial guy speed is everything and it is very quick to get off a Standon to move or pickup something versus a sitdown rider. I go through some effort to not have to get off my mower whereas it is a quick step-off and then back on a Standon type.

/ Cleaning lawn of branches #182  
I would think for a commercial guy speed is everything and it is very quick to get off a Standon to move or pickup something versus a sitdown rider. I go through some effort to not have to get off my mower whereas it is a quick step-off and then back on a Standon type.
That's a big part of it, yeh. Also u could get off it and mow while walking behind or beside it, that's real useful in certain parts of my property.

/ Cleaning lawn of branches #183  
Plus a commercial guy usually hires younger people who can stand all day and keep moving. I, personally, am past that point and prefer my sit on zero turns because I enjoy mowing and am not worried about getting it done the absolute fastest.

/ Cleaning lawn of branches #184  
Plus a commercial guy usually hires younger people who can stand all day and keep moving. I, personally, am past that point and prefer my sit on zero turns because I enjoy mowing and am not worried about getting it done the absolute fastest.
I hear ya. But also depends on what you're mowing. Like a level yard, sitting on a mower is great. But my backyard is far from level, and my back would take a royal asskicking on a garden tractor or my massey, that ache was piling up with time. That's why I started looking at standers.

/ Cleaning lawn of branches #185  
I have a new stick picker upper. It is about 40"" tall and picked up all the sticks in my yard in about a half an hour (not too many this time).

And it only cost me an ice cream sundae. We call it Ethan.

"Do I have to pick up all the sticks pa pa?" Yes you do. 😉
I tell my Grandkids Only the ones on the ground!! Ha ha