Cleaning lawn of branches

/ Cleaning lawn of branches #31  
Kids work great they have amazing little pea pickers, gets them outside and off I pads pick up sticks all day throw them in the bucket or garden trailer, wife or I drive the L2850 or the old 212 in the end we all win cause we usually get ice cream. Lol
Best one yet!

/ Cleaning lawn of branches #32  
That could easily happen. If your yard is perfectly flat, it might work to some degree. If your yard pitches and rolls, you'll probably wish you had just raked them the normal way and put up with the ones that get crushed into your turf.

If your limbs are big enough and you have enough of them to justify the cost, there comes a point where a grapple is nice to have because you can carry more limbs in a grapple than a bucket and the grapple can compact the limbs a bit for you. The bad thing about a grapple is some small pieces can fall out unlike a bucket.
Would guide wheels on the rake help?

/ Cleaning lawn of branches #33  
Forgot to say, my first pass was with the FEL down, skimming just above the ground to push the bigger stuff to a main pile.

If you do that, you have to be very careful to go slow and not dig the lip into the turf and bend something expensive.

With the bigger stuff gone, the rake did the rest. No concerns about driving over stuff.

/ Cleaning lawn of branches #34  
Every spring, I spend at least a full afternoon cleaning up downed branches from my ~4 acres of lawn, mostly from the more mature walnut and maple trees. I get to repeat this exercise after each major storm, all summer long, and I'm getting awful tired of the routine. Presently, I drive the FEL to an area with a bunch of downed branches, pick up each larger one and put them into the bucket. Then I rake up all of the smaller bits, and scoop them into the bucket. Very tedious.

I'm wondering what automated options might be possible. A landscape rake with float (anti-scalp) wheels would do half the job, at least gathering them together. Although driving over them in the process is just going to make them harder to pick up, in the end. Perhaps a tooth bar on my bucket, fitted with large swivel caster mounts on either side, so that I can drive around gathering branches with the bucket floating just an inch off the lawn.

Ideas? I can't be the only one hating this chore.
I feel your pain! Have numerous Post Oaks that shed branches/wood/leaflets during every storm or high wind event. Unfortunately, I have found no mechanical solution to the problem. Only manual efforts here with the Gator, a rake and branch pruners. One improvement for me was the purchase of Dewalts 20V pruner since I am all in on the 20v tools already.
The pruner works great and allows effortless chopping of branches into suitable size to put into Gator and head to the burn pile. Still a lot of manual pickups on smaller stuff, so I can offer no "easy" solutions. :unsure: So far, the battery pruner has saved me a LOT of time and energy.

/ Cleaning lawn of branches #35  
Kids work great they have amazing little pea pickers, gets them outside and off I pads pick up sticks all day throw them in the bucket or garden trailer, wife or I drive the L2850 or the old 212 in the end we all win cause we usually get ice cream. Lol
Where can you rent those? None available around here, so I spend an afternoon like the op giving my back a workout loading sticks in the Ranger and dumping them on the burn pile

/ Cleaning lawn of branches #36  
I have a new stick picker upper. It is about 40"" tall and picked up all the sticks in my yard in about a half an hour (not too many this time).

And it only cost me an ice cream sundae. We call it Ethan.

"Do I have to pick up all the sticks pa pa?" Yes you do. 😉

/ Cleaning lawn of branches #37  
Where can you rent those? None available around here, so I spend an afternoon like the op giving my back a workout loading sticks in the Ranger and dumping them on the burn pile
Well they are very expensive may cause some occasional mind boggling frustration. It's coupled with unconditional love and pride. I'd never upgrade my stick pickers.

/ Cleaning lawn of branches #38  
Now that you mention it, I too, used to use my little pea pickers (4) to pick the stix....when we lived in the city. But that was a long time ago. .... paid them really well too........0.01 cents per stix.:D

Cheers,
Mike

/ Cleaning lawn of branches #39  
I'd be extremely impressed to witness anyone pickup up a pencil with a grapple.

IMG_0336.JPG

EA 54” wicked grapple tines touch point to point. The long bottom gives you good line of sight to see the smallest stick or rock. Dual lids give 4 contact points. Easy to control without gouging the ground in rake mode. With HST not only pick up a pencil size stick but can could write your name ;-)

Larger but similar skid steer grapple has bypass tines suitable for the big gnarly trees. Deal with tons of trees every year.

/ Cleaning lawn of branches #40  
View attachment 788359

EA 54” wicked grapple tines touch point to point. The long bottom gives you good line of sight to see the smallest stick or rock. Dual lids give 4 contact points. Easy to control without gouging the ground in rake mode. With HST not only pick up a pencil size stick but can could write your name ;-)

Larger but similar skid steer grapple has bypass tines suitable for the big gnarly trees. Deal with tons of trees every year.
Was there a pencil in your Picture? I missed it.