Cleaning lawn of branches

/ Cleaning lawn of branches
Spent the morning yesterday picking up sticks before the first mowing. Took several hours, atop what I had already done in the prior two weekends. Since we're nearly at the end of our usual March high winds period, that's probably the last of it, until we get our first summer storms. The highest number of most annoying branches are the diameter of a finger or less, meaning a lawn sweeper may be worth a try, if it sounds like they'll get them. The trouble I anticipate is that these black walnut trees drop widely branching sticks, not individual bits, which will clog any sweeper that isn't able to break them when it sweeps them up.

/ Cleaning lawn of branches #112  
This pile was started roughly 8 years ago and the last 3-4 years has been added to very little with most of what's picked up being hauled to a fill spot on my dad's property. Roughly 30 ft long with one end about 6' high and low end 3 '. I would say 90% of it was picked up by the lawn sweeper with 10% being limbs larger than 42" long. The sweeper works great as long as the grass is kept mowed.
PINE STRAWS STICKS CONES 2.jpeg
PINE STRAWS STICKS CONES.jpeg

/ Cleaning lawn of branches #113  
This pile was started roughly 8 years ago and the last 3-4 years has been added to very little with most of what's picked up being hauled to a fill spot on my dad's property. Roughly 30 ft long with one end about 6' high and low end 3 '. I would say 90% of it was picked up by the lawn sweeper with 10% being limbs larger than 42" long. The sweeper works great as long as the grass is kept mowed. View attachment 791461View attachment 791462
Which sweeper do you have? Looking at the new ones for sale today, the user ratings vary a lot.

/ Cleaning lawn of branches #114  
Spent the morning yesterday picking up sticks before the first mowing. Took several hours, atop what I had already done in the prior two weekends. Since we're nearly at the end of our usual March high winds period, that's probably the last of it, until we get our first summer storms. The highest number of most annoying branches are the diameter of a finger or less, meaning a lawn sweeper may be worth a try, if it sounds like they'll get them. The trouble I anticipate is that these black walnut trees drop widely branching sticks, not individual bits, which will clog any sweeper that isn't able to break them when it sweeps them up.
The widely branching stick wont clog it, it actually helps it to get picked up as it has more surface area to grab. You dont know me from Adam so you don't have much to put faith in except my experience. You will be impressed with the results and at such a small price. You can adjust the height of the brushes on mine so that also effects the what you're getting up.
If I get a chance today, I'll run over an area with a before and after pic as I have some pine sticks that are down. I'll get a pic of what gets thrown in the basket too.
They also work great when you cut the grass in the summer at the height of the grass growing season and there's alot of cut grass that you might not want to leave on the lawn in clumps or just an abundance of clippings, I'll sweep that up and compost it too.

/ Cleaning lawn of branches #115  
I'm now convinced to get the pine need rake from Everything Attachment.
Is there any disadvantage with going to the 72" vs the 60"?

/ Cleaning lawn of branches #116  
Which sweeper do you have? Looking at the new ones for sale today, the user ratings vary a lot.
Mine is a Craftsman 42" but is 20+ years old so I dont know if there are models based on it still or not. I was looking at an Ohio Steele one a year ago or so that looked well made(IMO). I haven't checked reviews but will when I get another. I think height adjustability is key and how much plastic is involved in the gearing and drive mechanism. The wheels on mine have plastic teeth for gearing but they never wore out in the teeth but the tread on the wheels wore smooth. Has a chain on each side under cover that I have replaced once as original was stretched enough to not work right.
sweeper.jpeg

/ Cleaning lawn of branches #117  
Oh and I pull mine with a regular style riding mower, I've used a honda Big Red 3 wheeler as well so if you dont have a smaller piece of equipment to pull it that may be a trade off also.

/ Cleaning lawn of branches
Thanks, @Maknwine! I'd probably pull something like that behind my zero turn, no need to get the big tractor out onto a soft lawn at these times of year, if it can be avoided.

Yeah, any photos are appreciated, as are brand recommendations from anyone who's owned one. I can say the Ohio Steel wagon I bought 12 years ago held up great to lots of abuse, in fact I just resold it this year, as it hasn't been used as much since I got a larger (Country Mfg.) wagon.

/ Cleaning lawn of branches #120  
I got rid of that pole for dumping, and now just have a rope attached to it instead.