Cleaning gutters and roof valleys

/ Cleaning gutters and roof valleys #11  
I'm struggling with gutter issues myself. Partly because they collect only half the water. The remaining half drips between the gutter and facia.

But for the valleys, could you use a roof rake? Meant for snow, but works for other things too. Maybe even fashion a broom end instead of the blade?

/ Cleaning gutters and roof valleys #12  
I have roughly 200’ of gutters to clean monthly, more so in the fall. When doing this, I also get all the leaves and twigs out the roof valleys. I clean the gutters by hand and with a blower then rinse with house at end. My roof pitch is very steep, making cleaning the valleys very unsafe. How do you guys do it? Do any of you use the leaf guards on gutters? Looking for a safer and more efficient way to do this.
As a senior citizen it's very dangerous to climb ladders. This past summer I had all 300' of my old, damaged, defective house gutters removed and replaced by LeafGuard. LeafGuard Gutters | Seamless Rain Gutter Protection Despite numerous large Pine trees with millions of needles near the house the new gutters have not clogged up or failed to properly drain all water away from the house.

/ Cleaning gutters and roof valleys #13  
I don’t think there’s a single catchall answer for what works best for protecting or cleaning gutters, You kinda have to find what works best for your situation. IMO if you have trees and/or wind, some High Quality gutter guards are gonna be your best friend especially w/some of the newer technologies even filtering out sand/grit with the leaves. I install hinged guards at the ends for easy access to suck, blow or hose Gutter runs. I do like blowing from ground when a mess doesn’t matter but around courtyards or gardens or really messy gutters that need clearing, I prefer to use “Rigid Wet/Dry Shop Vac“ with extra hose, tubes and few gutter attachment’s. You can work from ground level walking under open gutters and suck leaves/sand out as you go. Or If they’re covered, you can lift one end and push the vacuum hose thru the gutter under the guards sucking or blowing as you go. For my “Valleys or Roof Flashings” i just tape the vacuum hose and tubing to end of my extendable prunning pole and run it up valley. With different vacuum head attachments you can Really suck clean debris from under roofing shingles or tiles where pressure washing, sweeping, or blowing might cause damage.
Another great user friendly tool for about $25-$50 is a high pressure telescoping wands with flexible spray/stream head that hooks to regular water hose. They’re great for clearing sentiment and spray cleaning walls, windows or anything else out of reach. Good luck….

/ Cleaning gutters and roof valleys #14  
I have roughly 200’ of gutters to clean monthly, more so in the fall. When doing this, I also get all the leaves and twigs out the roof valleys. I clean the gutters by hand and with a blower then rinse with house at end. My roof pitch is very steep, making cleaning the valleys very unsafe. How do you guys do it? Do any of you use the leaf guards on gutters? Looking for a safer and more efficient way to do this.
single story or double? a garden hose and a ladder work well if it's a single story...

Last edited:
   / Cleaning gutters and roof valleys #15  
If you have to clean out monthly I'd be getting the chainsaw out and start by removing the source of your problems i.e. all overhead branches etc.

/ Cleaning gutters and roof valleys #16  
I blow my gutters out with an air compressor. It helps that I have an industrial air compressor in the shop and the house is close enough to run air hoses too.

I made my gutter guards our of aluminum window screen. I manufactured them with a homemade "metal" brake that I made out of wood and a piano hinge to bend the screen with. The window screen works quite well.

/ Cleaning gutters and roof valleys #17  
I have a valley broom. It is a stiff small push broom at the end of a telescoping fiberglass pole made for a paint roller. Find the pole at HD or Amazon.

/ Cleaning gutters and roof valleys #20  
Elaborate what? The debris washes off the roof and valleys and over the gutter guards and out into the yard. Simple.