CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck

/ CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck #101  
For our area the final assembly is done in Tyler and then delivered to the dealer. The dealer will put on some options like 3rd function and other accessories and prep it for the customer. This was the way it was happening with Branson before the merger. I have not been by that location in a while so not sure if they converted it to TYM or not.

/ CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck
So I asked on FB what TYM did for the guy that lost his front wheel...here was his reply:

What did TYM do?
TYM did nothing besides send me replacement parts, however I could not in good conscience use their faulty C clip with dog ears again. We sourced a proper C clip. Without the dog ears, that fits in the recess in the hub, and replaced it on all 7 of our T574's.
On two of them we found damage on the C clip on the dog ears while we were doing the replacements, at our own cost, so it would have only been a matter of time.
What did TYM say?
Nothing at all. Fractured pelvis, 2 surgeries, cracked ribs, they had nothing to say, I sent proof of over 2 dozen other people this manufacturer defect happened to, photos and video. TYM is still silent. There is a lawyer forming a class in NC, I will be joining that lawsuit.
Scared? Forget the 82 year old, I would be terrified to have anyone operate any of these machines with that front hub design. The new ones still have the same faulty parts as the old.
The fix?
Not hard to do, but pretty expensive for a $18 C clip. 6 hours in tear down and reassembly of both axels, new gasket set that tym wouldn't cover so we had to buy, new gear oil at $100 a gallon. The two that had clip damage had metal shavings in the bearings so we had to buy new bearings for those two.
Lastly, there was no warning, not the slightest hint for us. Some people have said they heard a noise, some said they saw a fluid leak a few seconds before, many including us are in the no warning at all category.
All in all, they are a great tractor with a single fatal flaw that can be repaired and make it a great machine once again, from a $H!T company on a corporate level, with $H!T customer service from a corporate level, and a few GREAT dealers mixed in with a network of con artist dealers.
BOTTOM LINE.....
Park the machine...
DONT RISK IT!!!
Get the C clips replaced with ones without dog ears on them, check the bearings while it's apart for metal dust. Put it back together, know you have a great machine from a crap company and that good old farmer ingenuity will keep that beast of a machine going longer and further than the company who built it.
To be clear I am not saying the tractors are junk, the opposite in fact, some amazing machines, just a few models can get you hurt or killed and the crap company won't acknowledge it, and doesn't seem to have done anything to fix it even though it's an $18 C clip and a gasket set to fix.
Just trust me, I'll send you the hospital bills, luckily I have good insurance, would have been over $90,000 if not, and TYM doesn't care. Not one iota. Park your machine, get it fixed. They won't do it for you, and even if your dealer would, they will use the same junk C clip with dog ears that doesn't fit in the housing, so do it yourself. It's not hard, just some bolts and a rubber hammer for tools. It may be about $150 per side because of the fluid, but it's cheaper than your copay for insurance, or a funeral.

/ CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck #103  
Yep, told you guys, more than once. Known defect, faulty parts. As far as I know only affected models are 494/554/574.

/ CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck
I sent an email to our close dealer to see how much they are going to charge to fix it with good parts.

/ CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck #106  
How could this not be covered by the factory warranty?

/ CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck #107  
Some of this "seems" to be different problems.

1st, the TYM the Op bought has both front wheels locked together, at least that's what I thought I read.

That reeks of a 3rd member (center differential ) problem maybe side gears shimmed to tight, a damaged cross shaft , but in the center front axle diff.

The front wheel falling off, circlip individual that was severely harmed by losing the front wheel is definitely in the outer hub.
Sounds like the circlip popped out of the land , released the entire stub axle and wheel.

I went back and looked at the parts diagram that I linked for the TYM and was surprised how different that outer hub design is from Branson's.
Branson's outer hubs are mounted in double shear like larger tractors. More support stronger design PLUS,
Branson secures the outer stub axle with a large nut screwed on and staked to the stub axle. Which positively retains it.
TYM from the diagram a single snap ring / circlip. Either way the front wheels being locked together is in the center pumpkin 3rd member not the outer hub.
Not a fan of either design TYM chose. Hope they don't "improve" the Branson designs by eliminating them.
That said there was a thread on TBN of a Branson that a stub axle broke losing the wheel but was an isolated incident . But the pics posted showed the staked nut retention and double shear mounting of hub linked pic.

Last edited:
   / CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck #108  
Never heard of ANY dealer 'dyno testing' any supposedly new tractor. My Kubota dealer owns one and it's only employed when there has been sone engine work done to check everything out.

Sounds to me like this dealer is not being up front at all and most likely the tractor was sold and returned and now this dealer is trying to divest himself of a 'bad apple'.

Stuff like front axle issues don't happen out of the blue. They are caused by abuse.
My dealer dyno tested my almost zero hour tractors right in front of me.
They set them up the way I wanted, wheel spacing, tires, etc and let me watch the dyno.
Both my MF563s are factory rated at 55PTO hp but dynoed at just a tad under 63.

I had a MF461 for a short time. Tranny problems right from the get go. Almost zero hours. They took it back twice and took the tranny apart.
It improved but still issues. They replaced the entire tranny, an 8x8 mechanical shuttle. That triggered a noisy PTO.
They gave me a new tractor.
Sometimes a lemon is just a lemon.

/ CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck #109  
I hope TYM is not "improving" on the better Branson design too. I thought Branson 4820 had greasable tie rods. My TYM 4820 does not.

/ CLANGING in the front diff of brand new T494....what the heck #110  
I hope TYM is not "improving" on the better Branson design too. I thought Branson 4820 had greasable tie rods. My TYM 4820 does not.
Inner or outer tie rods? None have on the inner but have on the outer tie rods or used to anyway.