clamp on pallet forks (& no qd) - vs qd bucket + qd forks on kl4030/ck2610

/ clamp on pallet forks (& no qd) - vs qd bucket + qd forks on kl4030/ck2610
Everyone buying their first tractor finds far more uses for it than anticipated while shopping. SSQA makes the FEL far more versatile.
I sort of have to LOL how true this ended up being. Before buying the tractor, the first area i cleared resulted in a 30' wide 10' tall slash pile ... moved by hand. I'm not that old yet - but it still about killed me.

Now, ~9 rear implements, pallet forks, and a grapple later ... yep, that's about 4x the implements i thought i'd get into when i bought it the tractor itself.

I'm still ~Happy with the size tractor i bought; i have to move around some tight woods, and only occasionally feel like i need some more power - and long term i think i'll be happy with the simplicity of the NON-tier4 emissions the smallest unit in this frame size allowed ... but there are times I'm a little jealous of my neighbor's 60hp ...

/ clamp on pallet forks (& no qd) - vs qd bucket + qd forks on kl4030/ck2610 #12  
I started with clamp-on forks and they were a PITA. So much lateral leverage out front that they wouldn’t stay straight. Plus too much concentrated torque on the bucket edge. Finally, limited lift capacity since the rear of the load is at the fron edge of the bucket. I quickly bought “grown up” forks and haven’t regretted it for a moment. Especially wheni had to lift a haybine off a flat bed trailer. Impossible with “strap ons”…

/ clamp on pallet forks (& no qd) - vs qd bucket + qd forks on kl4030/ck2610 #13  
I have clamp ons- with a spreader arm. Works ok.
If you can afford SSQA forks, just do it, wish I had but $ were tight.

You will be very surprise what you can do with forks. Even moved an outdoor bar with mine.
Stumps, wood, pallets, trees for planting, toys etc.

/ clamp on pallet forks (& no qd) - vs qd bucket + qd forks on kl4030/ck2610 #14  
I have clamp ons- with a spreader arm. Works ok.
If you can afford SSQA forks, just do it, wish I had but $ were tight.

You will be very surprise what you can do with forks. Even moved an outdoor bar with mine.
Stumps, wood, pallets, trees for planting, toys etc.
Same here-
It would have cost me probably a $1,000 for a decent pair of forks plus getting SSQA on 1 tractor. Instead for about $250 I got 2 pair of clamp ons (1 for each tractor). And have occasionally used 2 pair on 1 tractor.
SSQA is great if you've got the $$$ and (skills if you do it yourself) but I've been operating since 2009 with clamp ons.

/ clamp on pallet forks (& no qd) - vs qd bucket + qd forks on kl4030/ck2610 #15  
It depends on how often and what you will be using them for. I have a set of the clamp on with stabilizer bar. Yes, you will definitely loose some lifting capacity. My tractor has 1600lbs lift at the pin.... and have lifted 1300 lbs with slings on the bucket hooks.

I can only lift 900-1000 lbs with the bolt on forks because they are another 22" past the pin. I basically use them for building materials (like studs / framing lumber / fence posts, etc.... You definitely won't be able to lift, say, a pallet of mortar .... probably half of one.

I was seriously considering getting a set of SSQA forks, but can't justify the cost vs. how often I would use them.

/ clamp on pallet forks (& no qd) - vs qd bucket + qd forks on kl4030/ck2610 #16  
With the clamp on type you can bend your bucket;I purchased a new set of 2k/42" SSQA for $600.

/ clamp on pallet forks (& no qd) - vs qd bucket + qd forks on kl4030/ck2610 #17  
I stopped at the local tractor maintenance service place today to inquire about Pallet Forks for my Kubota BX23S. (JD have different set up altogether)
- they get them in used on occasion, and i'm in no rush
- quick attach set up
- would probably use them up to 10x per year (not frequently)
- a used set-up would be fine
- bolt-ons to loader would be fine also

i have not priced them out in a couple of years, but I think the Quick Attach Pallet Forks set up was about $1200 Cdn, msrp. Very convenient.

The bolt-ons to the FEL would be significantly cheaper, but the lift capacity on my small tractor would be further reduced, given the reach.

It occurred to me today... it might be cheaper, easier in the long run to
1) buy a second used FEL (quick attach loader) for my 2018 Kubota BX23S ... doesn't even have to be pretty
2) buy a set of new or preferably used, bolt-on pallet forks, for the bucket (again, infrequent use)
3) bolt-on OR weld these pallet forks to the used loader bucket
wondering if that arrangement would actually save me any $$$ (I know that the Time Savings would be there), and I'd basically just be switching between Quick Attach Loaders.

thoughts ?

/ clamp on pallet forks (& no qd) - vs qd bucket + qd forks on kl4030/ck2610 #18  
I have what we call the eurohitch and have a 4 in 1 bucket and hay spikes, the spikes get used the most for picking up almost everything, I had clamp ons on the last tractor and had them fall off once despite being tightened, fortunately it was nothing important that it the dust, like others have said they sit forward and reduce your lift capacity.