Circlip gone from Frontier RC shaft

/ Circlip gone from Frontier RC shaft #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
The circlip is gone from the input shaft on my Frontier RC 2048.

Wondering if anyone else has found and used something else there? A couple semicircles that would screw together would work; I'd think.

Dealer is ordering the part, but it's a small thing to keep the Ujoint from sliding off when the shear bolt goes.

Ralph

/ Circlip gone from Frontier RC shaft
They call it a snap ring. Got a new one. Any way to put the thing on without having some snap ring pliers?

Ralph

Found some right angle ones for $7 something, incl. shipping online. Probably won't be world beater but should work for this job.

Might be able to use regular snap ring pliers if I remove the PTO shaft and move it 90 degrees to get it out of the way, but a better chance is with these 90 degree pliers.

Ralph

/ Circlip gone from Frontier RC shaft #4  
The snap ring pliers should help putting it on. I have had success in the past installing snap rings with a screw driver when I was too lazy to go get my pliers. Depends on how much room you have. Anyway, good luck!

Bought some 90 degree snap ring pliers online for about $3.70 and about the same amount shipping.

Solicited the wife's help to get another set of hands after trying it by myself. Hardest part was to get her to understand what to do, always. Got it on.

Ralph

/ Circlip gone from Frontier RC shaft #6  
Glad you got it going!

Ujoint hopefully won't come off the shaft now and flop around, threatening to do damage to the PTO.

Ralph

/ Circlip gone from Frontier RC shaft #8  
Ralph, I lost the circlip on my KingKutter rotary mower yesterday. My circlip didn't have the holes on each end like a snap ring so there's no way to use snap ring pliers. Only way I see to install one is working it around the shaft a little at a time with a screw driver. I bought the mower from Rural King and they don't carry the clip in the store. Only on-line. I checked with Ace Hardware and they sell the snap rings with the holes on the ends but I'm wondering it those would work. Going to check with NAPA and a couple other places Saturday for the correct piece. Did you use the snap ring with holes and if so was there any issue with clearance? Thanks.....Don

/ Circlip gone from Frontier RC shaft #9  
Both are made from spring steel, snap ring needs to be the same diameter (or slightly smaller) never larger than the groove circumference and thin enough it fits inside the groove.

/ Circlip gone from Frontier RC shaft #10  
The shaft on my Howse gearbox was 1-3/8". None of the hardware stores had that size. I ended up ordering a pack of 25 from McMaster Carr.

McMaster-Carr