Choice: food or solar fields

/ Choice: food or solar fields #241  
Bottom line is anyone on either side wanting to lessen the environmental impact on Earth the best thing is not to have children!
People are what's causing problems...right?
That's what a lot of people seem to be doing. The rate of growth for the global population has been falling since the late 60s and is expected to hit 0 in another 40 years. The bad news is it'll still grow another 40% before we get there. Japan's population has been declining for about a decade and China is expect to see their population peak in about 5 years. Without immigration, the US would see it's peak population by the end of the decade as well.

/ Choice: food or solar fields #242  
Bottom line is anyone on either side wanting to lessen the environmental impact on Earth the best thing is not to have children!
People are what's causing problems...right?
I did my part. No kids, no regrets.
Would a “environmentalist“ want to see huge numbers of birds killed? The planet heated? Animal life or migration impacted?
Geez I remember back in the 70’s when ”environmentalists” didnt want Alaska pipeline built because it impacted Caribou migration, but it’s ok to kill 100’s of thousands of birds now? Hmmmm that’s strange. Where’s the “environmentalism” in that?
I'm not buying the "100’s of thousands of birds" killed by windmills. You can find just as many links to stories saying this is way overblown as you can who say it's a problem.
Funny how some of the same people who have no problem spraying herbicides everywhere suddenly become environmentalists when it comes to something they disapprove of.
Never had it but not adverse to sampling it. My issue with eating it is probably mostly because my wife raised draft horses and I'd think about 'Old Betsey' cutting into a piece.
People in other parts of the world eat dog too, probably wouldn't go over well here for similar reasons.

/ Choice: food or solar fields #243  
They should probably take up eating cat, if we're worried about the bird problem. So why is it we are only worried about what animal/plant gets wiped out, when we discuss solar or wind energy? I don't hear anything about how many birds got killed when making my tractor, or transporting it.

/ Choice: food or solar fields #244  
Like others have stated, there is no perfect solution.
As a former solar owner, I knew it was dirty. But so are other forms of energy. I chose solar because it saved me lots of money, even made me money. I had no company holding prices over my head. No fairy tale there...

/ Choice: food or solar fields #245  
I did my part. No kids, no regrets.

I'm not buying the "100’s of thousands of birds" killed by windmills. You can find just as many links to stories saying this is way overblown as you can who say it's a problem.
Funny how some of the same people who have no problem spraying herbicides everywhere suddenly become environmentalists when it comes to something they disapprove of.

People in other parts of the world eat dog too, probably wouldn't go over well here for similar reasons.

I dont spray herbicides

/ Choice: food or solar fields #247  
But you do use thousands of gallons of polluting diesel. six of one, half a dozen of another.
Since you're in a desert, I doubt if you farm much. Therefore I don't think you need herbicide or diesel fuel.

/ Choice: food or solar fields #248  
That's the woke plan...hate nasty petroleum eliminated by raising prices, make people embrace electric. Forget all the progress we've made lowering carbon emissions, forget plastics and other coal/petroleum uses, pollution from lots of the electricity production and all the manufacturing/disposal processes.
Buy into the dream and believe it...

/ Choice: food or solar fields #249  
@PuffyC

The real problem is, that by now there are 4-5 billion too many people on this earth, especially after the over-exploitation of especially the last hundred years. In the history of two centuries mankind has used the resources that have been built up over few million years and those are finite and not timely replenished in quantity.
^ The unvarnished truth. Let's face it, each of us is a consumer of natural resources. This 'ol planet can provide only so much in the way of those resources and the exploding human population (over the last 200 years) is overwhelming earth's ability to supply those resources. This graph of population growth is a stark picture of what's happening.
Population growth.jpg

/ Choice: food or solar fields #250  
That's the woke plan...hate nasty petroleum eliminated by raising prices, make people embrace electric. Forget all the progress we've made lowering carbon emissions, forget plastics and other coal/petroleum uses, pollution from lots of the electricity production and all the manufacturing/disposal processes.
Buy into the dream and believe it...
Do you think the oil companies are raising their prices so that people will embrace electric?

Oil companies are the ones responsible for oil prices. Their stocks are booming. And they're going to keep raising prices as long as the demand is there and there's blood still left in the turnip.