Chile Renellos...Recipe anyone?

/ Chile Renellos...Recipe anyone? #31  
Yes, CowboyRon, one can vote at age 29! :D

Now I remember how old you were. Wasn't that a Jerry Lee Lewis song? 29 and holding.
I'm more like the other country song. The back side of 40.

/ Chile Renellos...Recipe anyone?
I shared my Chile Rellenos recipe, so would love both of your recipes, 2Lane!

I figured, you managed to understand my Tean speak in another thread, I could understand your "Okie" speak here!

I love the NM Mexican food, but really like the spicy, Tex-Mex the best! :licking:

Ok, here's both recipes. The rib rubb is given as part of a dissertation I wrote on smoking baby back ribs, so that's a bonus. My brother's recipe is lacking in details, but that was just his personality. There's really not much else to add to it anyway.

Green Chili Stew

One small (2 lb) pork roast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes

One can of stewed tomatoes

(stewed tomatoes contain sugar, you may prefer a can of regular diced tomatoes).

One medium yellow onion, chopped

Potatoes, 2 or 3 medium, cubed

Green chile, (to taste, depending on how hot they are).

One clove of garlic, chopped.

Salt and pepper to taste

Put potatoes on to boil with enough water to cover; and begin browning pork in skillet with salt,

pepper, garlic and salt.

When meat is done to a golden brown, put all ingredients into the same pot with the potatoes; simmer

until the potatoes are done.

Baby back ribs on the Big Green Egg or your own brand of smokerINGREDIENTS

2 Slabs nice meaty baby back ribs, thawed, rinsed and patted dry
olive oil or Pam; spray can works best
Rib Rub
Turkey bake-in bag
chunk charcoal
CURED wood chunks for smoking; I prefer about 1/3 Mesquite, 1/3 blackjack oak and 1/3 pecan. Blackjack isn't available everywhere, so regular oak is OK. Hickory is good also. I never use green wood nor do I soak mine.

Lay the ribs in a cookie sheet, bony side up. Spray a fine coat of olive oil on the ribs and add a generous coating of your rubb. I use the #2 almost exclusively.

Turn the ribs over, spray the other side with the olive oil and generously coat the meaty side with the rub. Place into the bake-in bag overnight in the frige. I like to prepare them the day before if I can, but I don't always have that luxury.

I usually add a few chunks of wood to the smoker before I add the burning charcoal on top. I use the chunk charcoal in the Egg, and I start it using the chimney device so I don't have to use charcoal lighter. Add the hot charcoal to the smoker and place the rest of the smoking wood on top. I usually use about 2 or 3 medium size chunks of each on top of the coals. Mesquite is a great smoking wood, but it doesn't take a lot to make the meat bitter, so go easy with it until you learn how much to use.

When the coals are ready, I place the ribs on the grill bony side down. If I cook more than 2 slabs, I use a rib rack but prefer they lie flat. I also cook directly over the coals instead of indirect because I like them to brown a bit. If you insist on a brush on sauce, I recommend Woody's Cooking Sauce.

I set the smoker to cook at about 250 degrees Farenheit or a bit below. It takes about 2 and 1/2 to 3 hours usually for baby backs; much more and they will just fall apart. I start checking them after about 2 hours. The hardest part is deciding when they are done; when a toothpick penetrates the meat easily they are done; look for the ribs to starting pulling away from the ends of the bones.

I like to let them sit for a few minutes until they cool before slicing them up. If you are transporting them say to Grandma's house, wrap them in aluminum foil, and then in a beach towel or two and put them in your small beer cooler. They will stay warm for a couple hours.

Enjoy.

A few comments on rubs...There are a couple commercial rubs I like very much. The first is Bad Byron's Butt Rubb. It is an excellent rub, but it is too spicy for most folks, especially the kids. I also like Cain's BBQ Rub; it is milder and has a great flavor, but it does contain MSG. I have formulated my own rubs; the recipes are below. The # 1 is as close to Bad Byron's Butt Rubb as I could get, but here again, it's fairly spicy hot. The #2 is what I use almost exclusively any more; not too hot for the kids and everyone seems to like it really well.

Sorry, these recipes make a pretty good size batch, but I use a lot of the #2. If you want less, you'll have to go to the conversion charts and cut it down some. When I'm cooking just for myself and Sharn Jean, I usually add a little extra garlic directly to the ribs during the prep phase. There are a lot of prep variations I have used; I often will spread a couple tablespoons of yellow mustard on the ribs, gives them just a hint of vinegar, but here again, you can get too much if you aren't careful.

D.G.'s #1 Rib Rub

1 Cup Paprika
2/3 Cup Black pepper ( mix of regular and coarse ground)
1/2 Cup Granulated Garlic
3 TBSP Salt (fine sea salt; no Iodine added)
3 TBSP Granulated Onion
3 TBSP Chipotle Powder

D.G.'s #2 Rib Rub

1 Cup Paprika
2/3 Cup Black Pepper (mix of regular and coarse ground)
1/2 Cup Granulated Garlic
1/3 Cup Brown Sugar (light)
1/3 Cup white Sugar
1/3 Cup Ginger
3 TBSP Salt (fine sea salt; no Iodine added)
3 TBSP Granulated Onion
3 TBSP Chipotle Powder
2 TBSP Lemon Pepper
2 TBSP Celery Seed

/ Chile Renellos...Recipe anyone? #33  
Thanks for the recipes. My mouth is watering already.

/ Chile Renellos...Recipe anyone? #34  
Okay, you can call me anything you like, but my 35 years of working with technical publications, writing, and instructional materials makes me a bit of a language snob. I'm gonna tell you that Wikipedia is just wrong on their spelling. I don't expect everyone to agree, but I always have been taught that chilly is what you feel when it is cold, chili is a pepper, chiles is the plural of chili, and Chile is a country in South America. I think the spelling of "Chile relleno" is because people really mean "chiles rellenos," the plural form of chili. A single dish would be chili relleno or chili rellenos. Anyhow, everytime I see Chile rellenos, I start to get an eye tic.:D Just remember, everything you read on the internet is not always correct, unless it comes form me, of course.;)

Heheheheheheeee, that's the ticket, Jin! Unless it comes "form" you, I won't believe nary thang! But, really, it does make it hard to read when people just slop stuff out without at least trying to get it right.

Now, back to food...

/ Chile Renellos...Recipe anyone? #35  
There is no such thing as something being too hot! :laughing:

Next time, get Hatch green chiles or Poblanos. They are extremely mild.

Usually, we can handle Jalapenos, but these peppers really had the hot stuff. They were the hottest peppers we have ever had and we have eaten, including Habanero's.

Later,
Dan

Okay, you can call me anything you like, but my 35 years of working with technical publications, writing, and instructional materials makes me a bit of a language snob. I'm gonna tell you that Wikipedia is just wrong on their spelling. I don't expect everyone to agree, but I always have been taught that chilly is what you feel when it is cold, chili is a pepper, chiles is the plural of chili, and Chile is a country in South America. I think the spelling of "Chile relleno" is because people really mean "chiles rellenos," the plural form of chili. A single dish would be chili relleno or chili rellenos. Anyhow, everytime I see Chile rellenos, I start to get an eye tic.:D Just remember, everything you read on the internet is not always correct, unless it comes form me, of course.;)

It may not be apparent from my posts, but I too, made my living with the English language; 16 years working in an industrial research laboratory and another 23 or so with the Department of Environmental Quality. Of course I had the best secretary in the world, she took care of me...did my formatting and took care of my spelling and punctuation. I found that unless I was drafting legislation or some other legal document, I really didn't get graded on spelling and vocabulary. The guys in the trenches are more interested in results. Although I have red-marked many reports in my time, I am much more merciful with my colleagues/adversaries here on TBN. :)

/ Chile Renellos...Recipe anyone? #38  
Dennis, for what it's worth, we went to our favorite Mexican restaurant last night and I checked their spelling on their menu. Sure enough they spelled it Chile Rellenos instead of Chili Rellenos. Like many other things, it's just style and my "rant" was not serious.:)

In my last job, we used "gage" instead of "gauge" when talking about aircraft instruments. Of course, guage is proper, but our style was to use gage and keep it consistent. The theory was that gage was a proper spelling and it saved a letter every time it was used. I still use gage when I write unless talking about shotgun gauges. However, I never could get my employer to use "thru" instead of "through.":D We also never used "airplane" unless we were quoting another document. We always used "aircraft" instead. It's just a higher class word, I guess.:rolleyes: I even fought tooth and nail to get them to use a small case "k" when talking about thousands, as in 3k feet elevation. They wanted to use a capitol "K" instead. I kept telling them that the capitol "K" is used in science to abbreviate Kelvin degrees or Potassium's atomic symbol and small "k" is thousands. It made no difference, their eyes glazed over. Anyhow, I've picked enough nits to make a closet full of sweaters, so pay no attention to my ramblings.:)

Dennis, for what it's worth, we went to our favorite Mexican restaurant last night and I checked their spelling on their menu. Sure enough they spelled it Chile Rellenos instead of Chili Rellenos. Like many other things, it's just style and my "rant" was not serious.:)

In my last job, we used "gage" instead of "gauge" when talking about aircraft instruments. Of course, guage is proper, but our style was to use gage and keep it consistent. The theory was that gage was a proper spelling and it saved a letter every time it was used. I still use gage when I write unless talking about shotgun gauges. However, I never could get my employer to use "thru" instead of "through.":D We also never used "airplane" unless we were quoting another document. We always used "aircraft" instead. It's just a higher class word, I guess.:rolleyes: I even fought tooth and nail to get them to use a small case "k" when talking about thousands, as in 3k feet elevation. They wanted to use a capitol "K" instead. I kept telling them that the capitol "K" is used in science to abbreviate Kelvin degrees or Potassium's atomic symbol and small "k" is thousands. It made no difference, their eyes glazed over. Anyhow, I've picked enough nits to make a closet full of sweaters, so pay no attention to my ramblings.:)

Just don't tell me that "data" is plural. :D

/ Chile Renellos...Recipe anyone? #40  
But, you know boys, words, punctuation, etc., do have meaning. Sometimes me old eyes and haid (now that's a good word) plumb hurt from trying to read some mess. I cain't (another one I like) even tell what some old boys are trying to say.

Heheheeee, for example, talking about peppers being hot. Now, do they mean, "caliente", or do they mean really hot. Or just spicy. I speak another language (日本語) and you can tell if one means hot or hot. Spicy hot or touching hot. I have a cat's tongue, cain't stand nary hot food, but I do like spicy hot. I ain't right boys, I ain't right.

Now, wait a minute, all this mess started from just chili relleno recipes. Well, I ain't got nary recipes. Like I said, I'm just a professional eater - just don't get paid for me work. Keep them recipes coming.