Children and farm dangers

/ Children and farm dangers #1  

jimmyj

Elite Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers 616 (Two) and a Kioti CK30 HST with loader and backhoe
This was in my local paper. The stats are Canadian but I can't imagine they are much different elsewhere.

I could not find a link so I just typed it out.

Deaths to children living on farms exceeded national all-cause unintentional fatal injury rates among Canadian children aged one to six by 71 percent.

Among boys, the annual fatality rates from agricultural injuries exceeded all cause rates by 120 percent.

Three causes of injury accounted for most of the deaths:

1) Farm tractors are the leading machine causing injury and death. (Runovers of children who have fallen from tractors while they were passengers).

2) Drownings (farm ponds, dugouts, manure lagoons).

3) Other farm machinery (runnover and rollover, entanglement in moving or unattended machinery)

Common patterns seen:
-Children who are unsupervised or not well supervised
-Children in the proximity of unguarded or moving machinery
-Children who are performing work tasks for which they are not yet ready

(I have paraphrased the rest as it's a lot of blah blah but here are some interesting bits..)

Create safe areas for children such as fenced in yards.
Use sitters
Be extra careful in the summer
Make sure the whole family uses safety rules and lead by example (ie helmets on ATV's)

The majority of deaths are to boys, with about four injuries or deaths to boys for every one to a girl.

Anyhow, I thought it was worth posting.

Jim

/ Children and farm dangers #2  
I have posted a video about a 7 year old girl ridding on her fathers lap, she slipped off and went under the brush hog. The seen is in the hostipl, when the camera pulls back you see what is missing. And the lunk heads, that means you, continue to have kids riding on tractors.

/ Children and farm dangers #3  
Why post this stuff, let the parents get their kid killed for stupid stuff.
You can't change irresponsible parents.

/ Children and farm dangers #4  
Why post this stuff, let the parents get their kid killed for stupid stuff.
You can't change irresponsible parents.

The problem is that the kids pay and pay dearly for dad and grand dads stupidity. Nothing like a missing arm or leg.
I can't find the video, you wouldn't have a dry eye after seeing it.

The video should be a sticky and played annually

/ Children and farm dangers #5  
Living on the family farm , it has always been a rule of ours , no kids on combines or tractors ; if no cab with '' buddy seat ''. As careful as we are and getting in a hurry in planting and harvesting season , things can still happen , BE CAREFUL .:thumbsup:

/ Children and farm dangers #6  
Living on the family farm , it has always been a rule of ours , no kids on combines or tractors ; if no cab with '' buddy seat ''. As careful as we are and getting in a hurry in planting and harvesting season , things can still happen , BE CAREFUL .:thumbsup:

Yup, safety is not an accident

/ Children and farm dangers
When I was a kid I remember guys reaching into machinery to adjust stuff while it's running. And my mom plowing up a gas line and jumping off the running tractor and running away. LOL, that's another story.

No, you can't fix irresponsible parents but accidents happen to good people too. That's why they're called accidents. Certainly stupidity rules but there is always hope...

/ Children and farm dangers #8  
There's a current thread in the owning/operating forum (with pictures) about a TBNer carrying his child on a tractor.

I guess I am a safety nazi, but I am 100% against kids riding on equipment. The parent has to make that decision...but when an accident happens, it's too late for that child...and the parent.

/ Children and farm dangers #9  
Although I didn't post it because I was so bummed out, a 7 year old boy was killed around here about a month ago. He was opening a gate to let his dad in and was crushed some way. I didn't even want to get the details.

/ Children and farm dangers #10  
What gets me is, where is the crowd that lets their kids ride on daddy's lap when on the tractor or mowers:confused:
I thought by now they would of piped up on how they did it as a kid and are still here.
H**l, some one even started a thread about the second ride on a tractor, like he is so proud of his little daughter.
Some parents just won't get it, I'm:eek: for them.