Check your trailer springs!

/ Check your trailer springs! #1  

Kays Supply

Veteran Member
Tractor
Iseki TA 207
I just replaced the plastic bushings on my trailer springs for the third time in 5 years. I found a set of bronze bushings with grease fittigs on the pins, I hope they last longer. The bolts/ pins were worn and the equalizers were egg shaped. I know every trailer out there over a couple years old needs the bushings replaced. It is a maintenance item most people aren't even aware of. If I had not replaced them before ,I would be replacing the springs too.

/ Check your trailer springs! #2  
Do you have a picture to show us what it is you are replacing? I don't know of any plastic bushings on any of my trailers.:confused:

/ Check your trailer springs! #3  
weldingisfun said:
Do you have a picture to show us what it is you are replacing? I don't know of any plastic bushings on any of my trailers.:confused:

the spring eyes have bushings in them the bolts go through.

energy05.jpg

the red dingous is a new poly bushing in the spring eye.

when the bushings wear then the bolt can "flop around" usually wearing out the "soft" shackle/ cast equalizer vs the spring steel eye.

/ Check your trailer springs! #4  
There are lots of parts that may have nylon or bronze bushings. Do a Google on Dexter axle.:D

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1080235/f/parts_kit_catalog/Suspension_Components_8-05_72_res.pdf

Forgot to add that the ones on my trailer are replaced every three or four years as well as having to put new shackles in, The walking beams last about five or six years. Sorry I cannot translate that into mileage but that does vary according to the roughness of the road.

Last edited:
   / Check your trailer springs!
The bushings are located where Schnism's picture shows. However, they are white poly 11/16 OD and 9/16 ID on most double axle trailers we all use. There is usually a three sided balancer between the axles with 3 more bushings.

/ Check your trailer springs! #6  
I need to replace these on my travel trailer, got a good source online? Fortunately I'm in no hurry, can't afford the diesel to haul it anywhere on a vacation...

/ Check your trailer springs! #7  
My local TSC has all these parts. I ordered them last year from an on-line trailer supply and they took 6 weeks to arrive. No need to try to unbolt the pins, torch them off. New ones have zerks to reduce wear. If your tires show irregular wear, the problem may be the spring eye pins are worn.

/ Check your trailer springs! #8  
Ahh, didn't think to look at TSC. The local store doesn't carry quite as much as it used to though.

Guess when I get a chance I'll measure mine and look. If TSC doesn't carry I could try the bearings and drives house downtown.

/ Check your trailer springs! #9  
The chances are any local RV Trailer Dealer will have them in stock.:D :D :D

/ Check your trailer springs!
I found the bronze bushing kit with greasable pins at my local RV trailer store. I found a new balance bar and the original type poly bushings at a Rural King farm store. I pushed the poly bushings out and installed the bronze ones.