Cheap Welders and DC recomendation?

/ Cheap Welders and DC recomendation? #1  

Bedlam

Veteran Member
Specifically I'm interested in going with the ac/dc model.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...eId=10051&catalogId=10053&productId=100053881

Only the AC model is available from my home depot and also Lowe's.

This model is available online from my HD but with shipping is a problem.
Its avaliable from this source on e bay
http://cgi.ebay.com/LINCOLN-ELECTRI...dZViewItemQQptZBI_Welders?hash=item45edaf0431

It claims to be BRAND NEW and shipped from the factory.Does anone have any experience with this particular company?

I presently have a 'buzz box' from the 70s from sears still going strong , but Ive heard that the DC would be a great upgrade..
Also wondering will DC allow better overhead welding such as on exhaust pipes?
Thanks

Last edited:
   / Cheap Welders and DC recomendation? #2  
Exactly which welder are you looking at. The link you posted is for the sellers store not an individual welder.
Bill

/ Cheap Welders and DC recomendation?
My apologies I corrected the links and worded it hopefully a bit easier to understand.If you can take another peak and let me know your opinion thanks
I got to anxious to ask LOL

/ Cheap Welders and DC recomendation? #5  
for your money, get the hobart stickmate xl 235ac/180dc model ( or is it 160 dc? ).. it's usually less than the lincoln.. TSC carries them.. I have the ac only model and love it. it will burn some rods REAL good on the farm.

soundguy

/ Cheap Welders and DC recomendation?
Soundguy thanks I hadnt thought of TSC. I also see the same model on Northern too.Ill have to consider that option as well. Thanks.

Just did some looking around and that Hobart looks ike a nice unit.I am surprised that Harbor Freight doesn carry either this one or the basic lincoln ones..

Last edited:
   / Cheap Welders and DC recomendation? #7  
Watch Craigslist, too. I saw that Lincoln DC tombstone welder for $50 the other day in Metro Detroit.

/ Cheap Welders and DC recomendation? #8  
Bedlam, you don't need a DC stick machine with good AC rods you can achieve excellent welds. Hobart has a 7018Ac rod that works excellent on AC, 6011 is an excellent scratch start rod with the same properties as 6010 rod. 6013 is also a good starter on AC. For flat or horizontal welds 7014 works the best on AC.

I have a Miller 300 amp AC/DC machine that will put out 300 amps on single phase so I can use an Air Arc. I find myself using the AC side about half the time as I do the DC side. I am a licensed welder and like the versatility of different rods for the work I do. But for the average home user AC machines work very well.

You say you want to weld exhaust pipe together. Try using a 6011 rod with the flux broken off as a filler rod and a 6011 in the stick as if you were gas welding. You can weld surprising thin material with a stick machine this way. Give it a try!!!

/ Cheap Welders and DC recomendation? #9  
I too was a welder,and until I read the part about using filler rod I was going to suggest this was a perfect application for a mini mig...Probably the only one I could think of that wouldn't need a large duty cycle.

/ Cheap Welders and DC recomendation? #10  
I bought a Hobart AC/DC from Northern Tool (free shipping) and it works very well with 1/8" or smaller electrodes. It has a decent enough duty cycle that for most home use it will not even come into play. I think the Amp setting is nicer on the Miller/Hobart then on the Lincoln, but all of them would be fine.

www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_384175_384175