Cheap ways to put a roof over equipment?

/ Cheap ways to put a roof over equipment? #31  
I have storage for things used regular, or some old seasonal stuff simply cover.

Attachments

• cover drill.JPG
    cover drill.JPG
    316.9 KB · Views: 266
  • cover disk.JPG
    cover disk.JPG
    354.5 KB · Views: 264
  • cover planter.JPG
    cover planter.JPG
    470.8 KB · Views: 264
   / Cheap ways to put a roof over equipment? #32  
What is this "security" you write of?
Unless one builds a thick rebred concrete wall people who want to break in can.

I can cut a "man door" sized opening in my metal sheds with about 4 or so 4.5" cutting wheels and my battery operated couple of DeWalt 20V Max angle grinder. Wearing proper PPE of course.
For stick frame construction my Sawzall or chainsaw will quickly make a hole.
I mean that the wood frame shed does not offer the security or rodent protection provided by a conex.

/ Cheap ways to put a roof over equipment? #33  
I have the same Shelter Logic 20' x 13' "garage in a box" as our friend from Alaska back a few pages. I bought it for under $600 10 years ago. I went through a couple of fabric covers, the first of which stood up amazingly well in harsh winter snowload conditions (I had gone away on vacation). When the second one failed, my boy & I installed horizontal 1x3 strapping on 16" centers and then some corrugated plastic sheet roofing from Lowe's (steel would not bend enough). Snow slides right off it and it is opaque so there is excellent light inside. Yes, I could have run the steel horizontally but then the snow would not slide off = disaster in my region.

/ Cheap ways to put a roof over equipment? #34  
You can easily find interior / exterior dimensions online. If you need a bit extra interior clearance, take a look at the "Hi-Cube" version. Around here it is common to place two SeaCans 16' to 20' apart and build a roof across the span, resulting in three storage spaces, two of which are very secure. The addition of two end walls, one with a door result in a fully enclosed third space. Depending on jurisdiction the placement of the actual seaCans requires no permits & the roof is considered temporary, so no permits there either. I have seen the same done with non roadworthy OTR trailers. Park in place, remove the wheel dolly, roof between and you have up to 53' storage units. One caution is the load bearing capacity of the trailer walls will not be equal to the SeaCan walls.

/ Cheap ways to put a roof over equipment? #35  
   / Cheap ways to put a roof over equipment? #36  
This is my solution at our remote property. No rain, no sun, and most importantly no mice. Cheap and as secure as any shed.
Perfect. Doors both ends, and make sure you have lots of ventilation at the roof line. Condensation will rust everything Ferrous.

/ Cheap ways to put a roof over equipment? #37  
Here is my solution. I have barns, and store some things in them but I never have enough room under roof. 6 years ago I purchased a small metal prefab 19x22 carport 7 ft walls, and sited it by my hay field. After baling I can back the square balers into the shed. No sides or ends but it does a very good job of shielding the balers. It is a little tight for 2 balers but gets the job done. Cost about $1500 installed over gravel and geo cloth. We get snow and lots of wind, but not 3ft of snow. The little carport gets the job done and has held up well. Last year I added a 24x36 with 10 ft walls for round balers and wagons of hay when a storm is coming. It is drive-through, open ends and easy access, a great feature. I do not get much blow in rain with a 3ft sheet of roofing down each side. Cost $3300. I currently have another on order, 24x21 for mowers and hay rakes. cost $2200. Not pretty. but not trashy either. Sturdy, cost effective, good protection. Be sure you build it high enough for your tractors and equipment. They install these on your site in a few hours. Hassle free.

/ Cheap ways to put a roof over equipment? #38  
I was faced with the same dilemma as the OP, what we did was to attach 2 lean-to' off the west end of the garage and house. The shorter end is still eight feet up. Really freed up the garage space.

Often times we'll sit out in one during the rain and appreciate the shade they offer too.

/ Cheap ways to put a roof over equipment? #39  
I guess it depends on where you’re at. Due to the trade imbalance with China and Seattle being a major port city, they are about $1,000 delivered for the 40’. You can move them around with pipes and 4x4’s like the Egyptians did...
Wow! I sure wish there were a port near me! Here in WY a 40' high cube one tripper runs about $4850 and up + shipping. Needless to say I don't have any.

/ Cheap ways to put a roof over equipment? #40  
Another good thing about cargo containers in my are is that there are no property taxes. If I build a shed I my property taxes increase.