Cheap ways to put a roof over equipment?

/ Cheap ways to put a roof over equipment? #1  

boostmg

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 3620 TLB Hydro
Hey guys i have a bunch of stuff sitting outside, power sports, quad, and soon to be new tractor and equipment.

I’d love a nice garage but funds are tight.

i was wondering if anyone had any shelter recommendations for outdoor storage?

i know the canvas ports seem cheap but it seems like i can always find reviews of them coming apart.

I’m open to anything, car port, pallet roof build, etc just looking for something low cost but effective.

i guess another concern of mine would be the ground as well, it probably is a good idea to have some kind of platform or barrier between the ground and whatever is resting on it right?

/ Cheap ways to put a roof over equipment? #2  
I guess I have some questions; how big of an area are you looking to cover? Do you need permits? Snow load of any type? Will wind, rain, weather come in from any side that will need to be enclosed? Do you have any trees that you could pay to have milled? How much are you able to build? I would think that the floor could just be a few yards of 3/4 minus with some roundup sprayed to keep the weeds down until they all die.

I live in Western Wa and those damn tarp carports are horrible around here. The sun kills the tarp during the summer, then the rain and wind tears it apart in the fall, when it’s almost gone it’ll snow a few inches and collapse the whole thing. I have a neighbor who buys new ones every other year to cover a bunch of stuff. The guy could have built a post frame shop with all that money by now.

/ Cheap ways to put a roof over equipment? #3  
This is my solution at our remote property. No rain, no sun, and most importantly no mice. Cheap and as secure as any shed.

Attachments

• F7BFBC30-F949-4EF0-A0A3-A94497C8D76D.jpeg
    F7BFBC30-F949-4EF0-A0A3-A94497C8D76D.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 883
   / Cheap ways to put a roof over equipment?
I guess I have some questions; how big of an area are you looking to cover? Do you need permits? Snow load of any type? Will wind, rain, weather come in from any side that will need to be enclosed? Do you have any trees that you could pay to have milled? How much are you able to build? I would think that the floor could just be a few yards of 3/4 minus with some roundup sprayed to keep the weeds down until they all die.

I live in Western Wa and those damn tarp carports are horrible around here. The sun kills the tarp during the summer, then the rain and wind tears it apart in the fall, when it’s almost gone it’ll snow a few inches and collapse the whole thing. I have a neighbor who buys new ones every other year to cover a bunch of stuff. The guy could have built a post frame shop with all that money by now.
This winter we had tons of snow, the roof on the house had probably 3ft on it that stayed for possibly 2 months, so snow is definitely a concern.

Id say at this point if i could have something big enough only for the tractor I’d be happy, and maybe it’s attachments, like a frame mounted backhoe, tiller, brush hog.

it does get windy, I’d probably like some kind of enclosure, 3 walls with some tarp on the front would be ok, something like that.

I’m not looking to recreate it being indoors, it would just be nice to keep it out of the weather, and also to be able to get to it in the winter without having it buried in snow.

there are trees around the area now, but we actually have most of the machines tucked away in between trees, there is some open room to work with.

/ Cheap ways to put a roof over equipment? #5  
16x24 pole barn: 6ea 6x6x12', 3ea 16' bar joist trusses, 20ea 2x6x12', 4ea 2x8x12', 16ea 9.5' of pbr roof panels, 3pcs ridge vent, 10lbs roofing screws, 10ea 80lb bags of sakrete, 6 mil vapor barrier, 1 load (22t) of 3/4 crusher run. Rough guess is $2500 in materials + 3 days labor

Edit: just saw your comment about snow load. May need more pitch on roof. Make your panels 10' long for 9:12 pitch roof. Add 2x6 purlins, a couple more 6x6 for end wall ridge posts, and pbr panels for walls. Maybe $3000. About the same as a couple 20' CONEX's.

Last edited:
   / Cheap ways to put a roof over equipment? #6  
Double shipping containers; I did the same thing for a while and covered the middle with 2x6 and metal roofing from HD. Worked really well and was cheap.

This is my solution at our remote property. No rain, no sun, and most importantly no mice. Cheap and as secure as any shed.
Those are intriguing i have struggled to find clear info on them though.

how much does something like that cost? Where do u buy them from?

/ Cheap ways to put a roof over equipment? #8  
Those are intriguing i have struggled to find clear info on them though.

how much does something like that cost? Where do u buy them from?
I guess it depends on where you’re at. Due to the trade imbalance with China and Seattle being a major port city, they are about $1,000 delivered for the 40’. You can move them around with pipes and 4x4’s like the Egyptians did...

/ Cheap ways to put a roof over equipment? #9  
You can buy a new carport from Carolina Carport (or other firms) for about the same you'd probably pay for new materials.
And don't forget - lumber prices are about 3 times as much as they were pre Covid.

I guess it depends on where you’re at. Due to the trade imbalance with China and Seattle being a major port city, they are about $1,000 delivered for the 40’. You can move them around with pipes and 4x4’s like the Egyptians did...
I’d have to research the sizes, that’s crazy about moving them, crazy awesome.

if i could get them for $1k delivered I’d probably start scoping out the perfect location for it right now!

that really seems like a steal