Cheap charcoal fail

/ Cheap charcoal fail #1  

m1garand762

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota
First let me say we live in a small town in a predominantly Amish area. I sent my wife for charcoal yesterday and all she could get was Walmart brand. It was near non combustible . I finally got it to burn by lightning a wood fire on top of it with some bark and kindling. It would not stay going without adding wood periodically Has anyone experienced this or do I just have a bad bag of charcoal? I have been grilling for years and know how to light my grill I do it 6 days a week at least

/ Cheap charcoal fail #2  
I had some of the BGE charcoal do the same thing. I have only cooked on it once, but don't think I will again.

I usually use the Royal Oak brand, but I got a batch that acted like it was contaminated; burned like crazy and gave of a pungent smoke. I never cooked on it, and tossed it out.

/ Cheap charcoal fail #3  
I haven't noticed a problem with Wal-Mart brikets,never tried their lump. If you do this 6 day per week you know bad charcoal when you see it.
My brother once complained about lighter he had always used suddenly imparting bad odor and taste in food. Couple weeks later he found out his 14 year old son tried saving him some money by filling the lighter jug with diesel.