Cheap air compressor

/ Cheap air compressor #1  

domains

Silver Member
I made a air compressor out of a fridge pump yesterday, small and compact and pumps up to 200 pounds they say,
only 2 pipes, one pushes other pulls, as a kid my dad made one, Alot better than those cheap store ones, A good compressor has an oil base

/ Cheap air compressor #2  
I’m intrigued, have any pictures to share?
Mike

/ Cheap air compressor #3  
I believe you can also use those compressors as a vacuum pump. I've not tried either one so not sure.

/ Cheap air compressor #4  
Pics or it didn't happen. what you planning on using it for? What kind of tank did you hook it up to, & how long to refill? what are your cut-in/cut-out set at? any cfm data?

/ Cheap air compressor #5  
My FIL built one of those many years ago, it did work but man was it slow to build pressure. A larger motor would have helped but he used an old washer motor. He had the coolest old tank, about a 25 gallon with bands and rivets around it. He would air it up to over 100 lbs of pressure often but I did not trust the internal condition of the tank since I never remember it ever having water drained out. All of it went to the scrap yard years ago.

/ Cheap air compressor
One can use a plumber valve to stop it at 30 pounds

They have 3 pipes one is welded shut, Mines a small one I see alittle bigger, They say they can pump over 400 pounds , kinda dangerous , don't let kids use it , The pipe that pulls you can put a small filter on it so it does not suck in stuff , when cutting fridge pipes watch out the freeon flys and not good on eyes or skin, im going to weld a handel on top, weighs about 8 pounds

Used a old pipe from Those cheap lighter pumps, but they sell pipes at certain hardware stores

Attachments

• 344288521_3522586584652151_3018279255949370334_n.jpg
    344288521_3522586584652151_3018279255949370334_n.jpg
    699.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
   / Cheap air compressor
Pics or it didn't happen. what you planning on using it for? What kind of tank did you hook it up to, & how long to refill? what are your cut-in/cut-out set at? any cfm data?
No tank , just to put air in my car or atv

/ Cheap air compressor #8  
I believe you can also use those compressors as a vacuum pump. I've not tried either one so not sure.

I actually use them more often as vacuum pumps but have used them for ~200 psi pressure testing. Fill vessel with water (because it doesn’t compress like air, if the vessel fails it doesn’t “blowup”) and pressurize.

Either way, if you want it to last very long, you will want to add oil to it when you use it, as they were intended to be used in a closed system.