Chaps

/ Chaps
The more I read the worse it gets. I rarely even wore glasses. Often cut wood in shorts and tennis shoes with all of my saws. However, Yesterday my Hard Hat with Face Shield arrived in the box with my new Chaps. This year as usual I will put up my 15 cords only fitted with safety gear.

/ Chaps #32  
Yep, went for 15-20 years without chaps or face shield. Mostly just cutting 3-4 cords a year w/ safety glasses and ear plugs.
Then I started a project where I was cutting 2-3 days a week. I got the chaps and a face shield-ear muff combo. Those are great for weed whacking too. A hard hat became part of the equation to when widow makers became a threat.

Figured it was just a numbers game. You can be perfect 99.99999% of the time, but the more you run a saw, it's just a matter of time before that .00001% event comes around.

Within a week I put a nice tear in the chaps with the saw. One of those fatigue situations. Where I made a few cuts and lowered the saw/bar tip to "walk mode" but the chain was still spinning /winding down and hit the leg of my chaps.
Some may say they saved my leg. I tell the wife they caught because they stick out farther. (it was winter and the combination of coveralls and chaps is quite thick!) Hard to say, but that's my story and I'm sticking with it! ;)

/ Chaps #33  
Figured it was just a numbers game. You can be perfect 99.99999% of the time, but the more you run a saw, it's just a matter of time before that .00001% event comes around.

Yes it's all probability like the Lottery. The more tickets you buy the more likely you are to win. The only difference with the chainsaw is the more time spent cutting without safety equipment, the more likely you are to lose.

/ Chaps #34  
Yes it's all probability like the Lottery. The more tickets you buy the more likely you are to win. The only difference with the chainsaw is the more time spent cutting without safety equipment, the more likely you are to lose.

And when you lose, you can lose very, very big.

/ Chaps #35  
There are around 30,000 chain saw accidents per year in the USA that medical attention is needed. I hope to not be among them.

/ Chaps
There are around 30,000 chain saw accidents per year in the USA that medical attention is needed. I hope to not be among them.

Amen to that !!. I was in Houghton 3 weeks ago. Snow belt for sure. It's one of my favorite cities.

/ Chaps #37  
I had a friend prove the value of chaps: he live tested them at the end of a long day of working. He was just tired and his attention wasn't exactly as sharp as it was in the AM., he inadvertently tapped a full speed saw against his shin while limbing a downed tree. Chaps worked as advertised. They were Huskys. Not that Id want to test a set, but certainly saw the proof of concept after he did it.

/ Chaps #38  
I need to get a pair of chaps. The 3" gash on my knee took a while to heal!

I got the full wrap from Labonville last week. Bailey's had the best price with free shipping. They felt a little bulky when I first put them on, but I got used to them very quickly. I feel more at ease now, knowing how long the gash on my knee took to heal :thumbsup:.

/ Chaps #39  
I have the Labonville chaps and wear the Husqvarna face shield helmet w ear pro. A small price to pay for the prevention of life changing injuries.

/ Chaps
I ended up buying the higher end Husqvarna chaps (black and grey ) I also got the Husky Hard hat with muffs and face screen. the hard hat is ok and the muffs seem fine but the flip up on the face shield is a POS. I hope it lasts a couple weeks anyway.