Changing type of deck

/ Changing type of deck #1  

JEMcM2nd

Tractor
John Deere X320
Has anyone changed the mowing deck on a 48 inch Edge with non-rotating anti-scalping wheels to another type of deck and if so what is involved.

/ Changing type of deck #2  
The level of effort would depend on exactly what "other type of deck" you want to use as a replacement. Some decks will simply attach to the same hangers as the existing deck and off you go. Other decks may require a bit more fiddling and or fabrication.

/ Changing type of deck
Considering changing to 48" Edge with rotating anti-scalp wheels since I cannot find one like mine. Descriptions state that they are not a replacement for the one I have. I would think that I could change brackets and get it to work. I think the clutch pulley would be the same size as well. Any thoughts ?

/ Changing type of deck #4  
If you look in JD Parts, they show both deck types under the X320. The lift mechanism is identical for both. It looks like the non-rotating wheel deck uses one belt for the drive and spindles whereas the rotating wheel deck uses a separate belt for drive and spindles. You can compare diagrams in JD Parts to get an idea. They sure look compatible to me.

/ Changing type of deck #5  
As jgayman points out , both decks work under the JD X320. Order the new deck from your Deere dealer.

How bad do you want to change decks?

/ Changing type of deck
I don't really want to change decks but have had two spindle pulleys go out and replacements are hard to come by (UC21496). My son-in-law and I have changed belts, blades, spindles, and one damaged pulley. Now another pulley has gone bad and my local John Deere dealer is having trouble getting them for me. I want to change the two remaining pulleys. If trouble with the deck continues, I would consider changing decks. My wife would like for me to get a new cheaper tractor but I would prefer just a new deck since my 2006 X320 has less than 500 hours on it.

/ Changing type of deck #7  
What is damaging your spindle pulley's? Must be a cause for that to happen so often. What does the damage look like? Have a pic to post?

Wive's have interesting "wants" and can't help but wonder what problem is solved by a "new cheaper tractor".

/ Changing type of deck
The spindles themselves were most likely okay. We incorrectly assumed that it was worn bearings inside that was making the loud grinding noise, so we changed them. The noise went away until the right pulley rounded out. The center of the pulley rounded out in an oval shape. Sorry I don't have a pic to post. Now the grinding has returned and the left pulley appears to be damaged and the belt was smoking. I did run over an above ground pine tree root and skinned it without stopping the blade. I have accidently done this several times before. My local John Deere parts man says that it is a common problem for these pulleys to wear out. Can anyone confirm this? Thankfully, I was finally able to locate two new pulleys through the Green Parts Store in Illinois since my local JD dealer has not been able to get them in his orders.

Last edited:
   / Changing type of deck #9  
A photo would be a great help in us being able to help you. If I understand what you are saying, the pulley is coming loose from the spindle. Is that correct ?

/ Changing type of deck #10  
If I have a mower that strips pulleys, I have welded the nuts to the pulleys and pressed onward. Been years since I did it, still mows fine. Just kinda center the nut and weld away. It still comes apart if you need it to.