Changing Global carrier implements. How to get it to a 'neutral/non-bearing' position

/ Changing Global carrier implements. How to get it to a 'neutral/non-bearing' position #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
OK... I'm through just beating the **** out of my Global Carrier in order to get it to release.

I know there must be some trick and it is surpassing my ability to perceive it.

I have a JD with global carrier connection. I switch from bucket, to grapple, to Intimidator often and each and every time, no matter how the implement appears to be resting, there is tension on the connection and I can't 'pull out' the connector. I have to hammer it 'loose' and when it finally disengages, there is always a small drop of the implement, one way or another.

Typically, I set the 'bucket' or whatever, down and get it to where it looks as though it is laying flat on the bottom. I turn off the tractor and then 'release pressure' on the hydraulics which (in my mind) should allow any residual pressure on the bucket to equilibrate thereby releasing any remaining pressure on the cylinders.

However, there has been NO TIME, in which I set something down, that there wasn't so much tension that I couldn't pull out the connector handle.

What am I missing...??? What am I doing??? I know I am not setting it down in a position that relieves the binding, but for the life of me, I don't know what it is that I am doing which is consistently wrong.

Any ideas would help. What do you do to allow you to get it into the correct position for easy removal?

/ Changing Global carrier implements. How to get it to a 'neutral/non-bearing' position #2  
Don't put the attachment on the ground. I always have it 2 to 3 feet above ground. Makes it a lot easier to pull the pin.
If you have a grapple attached, you can release the pressure by shutting down the tractor, turn on ignition and push the buttons for the grapple. Diconnect the hoses right after or before you pull the pin.
If I switch from grapple to forks, I'm leaving the cab only once.

/ Changing Global carrier implements. How to get it to a 'neutral/non-bearing' position
I'll try leaving it in the air before I pull the pin. That might be exactly what I need.

It isn't a hydraulic tension for the grapple... it is the Global carrier, but your idea might just work. And save me from once again, pulling out the 3 pound sledge.

/ Changing Global carrier implements. How to get it to a 'neutral/non-bearing' position #4  
Bavarian has given you the good oil, Mate. Release the handle before putting the implement down and all will be well. Reverse the procedure when you pick up the next implement.

Very good advice regarding the grapple hydraulics too. It took me quite a few tries (plus warning the neighbours to take their children indoors as I was going to be cursing a blue streak) ((at VOLUME!!!)) before I twigged to releasing that 3rd function pressure button.

/ Changing Global carrier implements. How to get it to a 'neutral/non-bearing' position
Yes, I had already learned to turn off the tractor and release the grapple valve pressure... but the binding of the global carrier was beyond me.

As I think about it now, it makes perfect sense. I should have gone over the issue a little more rather than simply pulling out the hammer. I just remembered the guy at the dealership also having issues... and I thought this must just be 'how it is'. Now that you point it out, it is OBVIOUSLY not just how it is. It is ME... Crap in... crap out.

I appreciate your help.

/ Changing Global carrier implements. How to get it to a 'neutral/non-bearing' position #6  
Do like Bavarian said leave it approximately 2-3 ' off the ground.. also level the attachment. I own a j d 5115 m with a global system. They r handy but they can be a pia.. . When u level it and have the height where he mentioned u shouldn't have any trouble! Hope this helps u. Have a good 1

/ Changing Global carrier implements. How to get it to a 'neutral/non-bearing' position #7  
As I think about it now, it makes perfect sense. I should have gone over the issue a little more rather than simply pulling out the hammer.

It's not just you. I heard that during one of the wars, Europeans used to call hammers "American Wrenches".

/ Changing Global carrier implements. How to get it to a 'neutral/non-bearing' position #8  
I also release my SSQA with the implement hanging.

You are the first person I've heard say they try to release with it sitting on the ground. :)

That's how the mechanic at the dealership did it... and he had trouble with the release. Having never had an FEL before, I just became a lemming and pulled out the hammer.

Had I not been 'instructed', there is a chance my brain might have engaged and I might have thought about the physics... alas, education can be detrimental if it teaches poor technique.

As John Wooden said... "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect."

/ Changing Global carrier implements. How to get it to a 'neutral/non-bearing' position #10  
I like your attitude!!!!

Sorry you got lead astray in the beginning. Hope this method solves the problem. Otherwise, you've bent something....