Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel

/ Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel #21  
No never floods otherwise. Fuel won't compress like air will. Idk if that makes a difference. I don't know the science behind it I just know when I keep that o e specific saw full it didn't have the problem.

/ Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel #22  
I know Stihl has been having issues with pressurized fuel tanks spitting back upon opening them. The new fuel caps eliminate that somewhat but not entirely.

/ Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel #23  
I believe it has to do with the fuel sloshing around in the tank and creating pressure. Almost all engines other than chainsaws have vented gas caps, Saws don't.

/ Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel #24  
I regularly travel 7 hours with multiple chainsaws in the back of my F350 on my way up to camp. In fact most of us that go up there bring at least one chainsaw since trees often fall across the access road. I've never had an issue with a flooded saw. I bet both carbs need to be rebuilt

All my saws are Stihl and I've never had the fuel geyser issue but I have had pressure vent off when opening the cap. Although they always start unless the fuel line is clogged or the plug is fouled

Last edited:
   / Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel #25  
Shouldn't your fuel tank vent take care of the pressure? I've never had pressure in any of the dozens of saws I've owned. They bounce around on 4 wheelers, tractors, In carts traveling 5-6 miles out into the woods. No pressure ever. This surprises me. Maybe check your vents.

/ Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel #26  
Shouldn't your fuel tank vent take care of the pressure? I've never had pressure in any of the dozens of saws I've owned. They bounce around on 4 wheelers, tractors, In carts traveling 5-6 miles out into the woods. No pressure ever. This surprises me. Maybe check your vents.

Chainsaw fuel tanks vent in not out. They pull air in as the fuel is consumed so a vacuum doesn’t form. Pressure can and does build up

/ Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel #28  
I believe it has to do with the fuel sloshing around in the tank and creating pressure. Almost all engines other than chainsaws have vented gas caps, Saws don't.

Non vented actually makes sense as you use the saw in all sorts of angles and venting would allow gas to pour out at certain angles.
However I seem to recall noticing some sort of soft rubber breather in one of my saws caps that allows air to enter, kind of a 'check valve'.

If no air entered the tank the engine would starve and quit.
Starving tractors has been a frequent topic on TBN and often due to caps that no longer breathe.

Might suggest a tip for hard starting saws.
In the gas tank there is a weighted suction tube that incorporated a small felt filter.
Over time the felt gets clogged from crap and makes for a hard starting saw.

/ Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel
Follow up Hard to believe I posted this over a year ago. I've been leaving the Stihl at my property and still had a few times where it would be hard to start and bog down like a jet was plugged. Not long ago I would have sworn it had a clogged jet after a difficult start. Either later that day or next trip I burped the gas cap. Starts fine. Next trip burp it (always a bit of pressure) and one more time. The Makita threw a fit one day not long ago on first start up. It too had some pressure when cracking the cap loose. The jostling it takes from the ride over probably doesn't help. I'll report back if the burping before initial starting no longer works. Fingers crossed.

/ Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel #30  
I have two Stihl's. I will place one or the other in my ATP( Polaris All Terrain Pickup) and go to the far end of my property. I've experienced this flooding once or twice. But never so bad that I couldn't, eventually, get the saw started.

My cure - start the saw and get it good and warm before placing into the ATP and taking off. The "hot" saw will always start.

Otherwise - drain the fuel and run the saw dry. Refuel when you get where you are going.