Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel

/ Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel #1  

caver

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fisher Price, toddlers first tractor.
I just thought I would share an issue I've been dealing with for the past year or more. When I make the 120 mile run to my property I often throw both saws in the F250 bed. It rides like a log wagon. Often I get over there and neither saw will start. One is a Stihl the other a Makita (Dolmar). Often if I pull the plug it will be wet. I've also discovered on both saws there is noticeable pressure in the fuel tank. The elevation change in that 120 miles is about 500 feet. The Stihl got so bad I had the local dealer/coop look at it but it was a separate issue of needing the carb cleaned. The other day the Makita wouldn't start and my Stihl was about 200 feet away where I had been working. Once again a wet plug but after cleaning it did not give me any sign of life. Hmmm maybe there is pressure in the tank and sure enough like opening a soda can. I'm slowly figuring it out but lucky enough my property neighbors are far enough to not hear the flood of you %^&*-ing piece of &^%$ saw out of my mouth when one won't start.

/ Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel #2  
Take a large opening funnel with you and drain the fuel back into the can after use. I do that if I'm not going to run the saw again for a few weeks/months, so maybe that would help you? I've got one with maybe a 12" diameter opening and a screen at the bottom to catch any large debris that might fall off the saw.

/ Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel
I may try that. I used to leave the saws there until I got careless and someone got in the barn and stole two saws from me. I hadn't put them in my gang box due to running out of space.

/ Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel #4  
When done with my saw I drain the fuel as suggested. Then I start the saw and burn off whatever i couldn't drain. Sometimes it runs as long as five minutes. I do carry my chain saw (Echo) in the trunk of my car from time to time. Starting has never been an issue, though I'm not changing altitude much either.

/ Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel #6  
Like the others have said, drain the fuel and leave the gas cap slightly loose.

/ Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel
   / Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel #8  
To unflood a saw I set the brake, take the choke off, hold the throttle open and drop start it. I realize the last part is highly looked down upon, but I have been doing it that way for over 30 years. If your saw doesn't have a brake, don't try that method.
I also believe that it's safer than using PBR for an assistant. ;)

/ Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel #9  
I had watched that video earlier this year and never had any luck. I did watch the later half again and he pulls that rope over 35 times before it even shows signs of life. Yeah, I'll just take the plug out :) That guy has some good videos though from the few I watched some time back.

After twenty pulls, I'm usually too tired and angry to remember the correct choke and trigger position to unflood the engine and am never sure how wet a spark plug has to be to prevent cranking anyway.

/ Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel #10  
Keep a butane torch nearby. Instead of yanking and yanking, pull the plug. dry it with a rag. Hit the plug with the torch so it is hot. Stick it back in the saw. It should fire right up.