Chain Guards -- What Size Chain?

/ Chain Guards -- What Size Chain? #1  

TerryR

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 870
I recently posted in another thread questions on a chain guard for my flail mower, and got some good ideas suggesting it wouldn't be that hard to make one. I've read multiple threads on making chain guards (almost all for rotary cutters) and am left with one question: What size chain to use?

Many threads talk about using chain the poster had around, but I don't have any so need to buy some, which doesn't seem that expensive. But what size? I'm thinking 1/4" or 3/16".

What do equipment manufacturers use? Nothing I've found says.

What has anyone who has built open used, and what do you think about the size?

I'm thinking that if anything a flail could use something a bit smaller than a rotary cutter since it's supposed to be less inclined to throw things.

/ Chain Guards -- What Size Chain? #2  
I have had a flail mower over a decade, nothing has been thrown further than the clippings go,,
Do you want the guard to make the grass lay down??

Since the force on anything coming out of a flail is so low,, 1/4" chain would be plenty.

/ Chain Guards -- What Size Chain?
In the fall the rubber guard that comes with it pushes down what I'm mowing (I mow only twice a year) and the stiff stuff doesn't pop up enough to be cut, creating an awful result. I've taken the guard off, which mostly fixed that issue. But it's a ditch and bank mower, and I use it full offset to avoid cutting what I've driven over, so a little stuff gets thrown enough that I get hit by it occasionally.

I'm hoping a chain guard will not push the weeks down so far they won't get cut, but reduce the amount of flying debris.

/ Chain Guards -- What Size Chain? #4  
Mine is a rotary cutter but also uses chain skirts, both front and back. It uses 5/16" chain.

IMG_20220425_122859.jpg
IMG_20171005_133944.jpg

Thanks, ptsg. That looks like a heavy duty rig.

/ Chain Guards -- What Size Chain? #6  
I've used 1/4" chain on every one I have ever made, I had/have a LOT of old 1/4" chain layin around for some reason and it has worked well.

Thanks, John.

/ Chain Guards -- What Size Chain? #8  
My 72" finish mower has 1/4" chain. Don't think it needs to be heavier than that.

Thanks, LS.