CEO of Husqvarna Calls it Quits on Lawn and Garden Tractors (Petrol), says U.S. is Too "Challenging".

/ CEO of Husqvarna Calls it Quits on Lawn and Garden Tractors (Petrol), says U.S. is Too "Challenging". #11  
Is this how Husqvarna plans to fix it's 16 year failed, weak, 26 lbs. GT/ TS Lawn Tractor chassis...... By quitting, because it's too challenging for them?
When you lose money in business, you turn it around so you profit instead. If you can't turn it around, you pull the plug. You have a responsibility to shareholders to make such decisions.

I'm very sorry to learn of your troubles with Husqvarna. I think you and I purchased a GT48DXLS about the same time. Mine has been flawless, so I guess I am lucky. (I only use it for mowing.) I use it in Fall with a Cyclone Rake. In summer I let the mower deck blow all the grass debris into the next County.

I read:

“Going forward we have decided to further increase focus and efforts on premium offerings ..."

My interpretation of that is an admission they can no longer compete in low end, price competitive markets where margins are razor thin and the cost-cutting needed to stay competitive (like you experienced) generate customer dissatisfaction.

Saw something else about a focus on battery products ... seems like many manufacturers are moving that way. If I was in that space I wouldn't want to be flat-footed with only legacy gas engines.

/ CEO of Husqvarna Calls it Quits on Lawn and Garden Tractors (Petrol), says U.S. is Too "Challenging". #12  
Good question.

Electrolux AB (1978) created or purchased Roper Lawn Mower Co all ready producing tractors for Sears, a few name changes and then became American Yard Products (AYP). Electrolux did a corporate spin off of AYP in 2006 creating the Husqvarna outdoor products (not to be confused with Husqvarna Group AB). Electrolux AB and Husqvarna AB are owned by the same company, and the North American Division of Husqvarna that produces Lawn and Garden Equipment is a subsidiary of Husqvarna AB or Husqvarna Group.

The Georga plant that made hand held equipment and walk behinds has been closed permanently (2019?) and a lot of people lost their jobs, it was a big plant. Unsure about Arkansas, and the South Carolina plant is whats left.

MTD or Modern Tool and Die Company is in Ohio I think, but they are their own (yes 20% by Stanley which owns Briggs and Stratton?).

Sears prior to their eventual demise was already having MTD produce more of their tractors than Husqvarna. Most lawn tractors at the stores are MTD brands with low end John Deere and Husqvarna (which is leaving the market for petrol powered). The competition is dwindling and MTD seems to be taking the majority share of low end retail sales of lawn tractors and push mowers now.

I think competition is good for the consumer, sadly it looks like the consumer is going to lose this one.
White outdoor products was purchased from the White motor company in 1981 by MTD. And was just reading something interesting. As part of the agreement of Stanley Black and Decker to acquire 20% of company interest in 2019 also gave them the option to acquire the other 80% interest starting July 1 of this year.

Trying to keep the alphabet soup of brand names straight in mind blowing. Poulan/ Poulan Pro handheld products and American Yard Products which was the the riders, push mowers, tillers were a division of FHP( Frigidaire Home Products), which was a division of EHP(Electrolux Home Products) All rolled into the Husqvarna brand group with EHP becoming the appliance division.

Last edited:
   / CEO of Husqvarna Calls it Quits on Lawn and Garden Tractors (Petrol), says U.S. is Too "Challenging".
White outdoor products was purchased from the White motor company in 1981 by MTD. And was just reading something interesting. As part of the agreement of Stanley Black and Decker to acquire 20% of company interest in 2019 also gave them the option to acquire the other 80% interest starting July 1 of this year.

Trying to keep the alphabet soup of brand names straight in mind blowing. Poulan/ Poulan Pro handheld products and American Yard Products which was the the riders, push mowers, tillers were a division of FHP( Frigidaire Home Products), which was a division of EHP(Electrolux Home Products) All rolled into the Husqvarna brand group with EHP becoming the appliance division.
Yes, alphabet soup, exactly! :)

Frigidaire is something that is easily missed isn't it, I think it's because it was very short under Electrolux, two years or so? Then to sara lee? swansan? Some frozen meal company, strange. Everyone in that era had to have a garden tool division in their corporate strategy. Crazy.

/ CEO of Husqvarna Calls it Quits on Lawn and Garden Tractors (Petrol), says U.S. is Too "Challenging". #14  
@GT48DXLS It looks like FHP has had an interesting history within itself. Purchases by White Consolidated Industries in 1979, and then Electrolux EHP acquired WCI in 1986 as part of a over 300 brand gobble up by Electrolux. Did away with the WCI brand and replaced it with FHP and then in was merged with Poulan and AYP in 1997, which then all became part of Husqvarna consumer products in 2006(HCP).

/ CEO of Husqvarna Calls it Quits on Lawn and Garden Tractors (Petrol), says U.S. is Too "Challenging". #15  
Good riddance . . . Husqvarna should turn their tails and RUN from the American market, they will NOT be missed.

I bought a YTK46 riding mower brand new in 2011 or 2012 has been the WORST piece of mechanical garbage it has ever been my displeasure to own. It seems to be biodegradable - exposure to the air makes it disintegrate (it is kept inside, too, not left out in the rain).

It has a Kohler "Cowardice" engine, excuse me Kohler "Courage" engine. It currently has 202 hours on it, I don't use it particularly hard, it is maintained according to the schedule, and the area I mow is fairly smooth, no rocks, rebars, cement blocks, etc. This mower should be living the life of Reilly, right?

Well, not exactly.

Understand that I'm 74, and have owned and worked on over 150 cars since I was 16 - all kinds of stuff, ridiculous to the sublime, Porsches, nine Jaguars (I learn, slowly, but I do learn), Mercedes (old and new), Lotus Elan (!), Volvo, Fiat, MG, El Camino, Ford, Chevvy, the list goes on and on, also uncounted motorcycles, a three boats (ugh), a couple of airplanes, a tractor and more AND a 4,500 sf building chock full of tools which I have a pretty good idea of how to use and I've taught in trade schools and publish technical books on airplanes and motorcycles, so I have a pretty good idea of which end of a screwdriver to hammer on, and I take care of stuff - good care.

This Husqvarna perfectly fits the description of "Designed by morons, assembled by chimpanzees, sold by charlatans" and the last part is "to fools", and I evidently have to plead guilty. This mower is the worst, least reliable, crankiest, all-around vilest piece of vehicular garbage it has ever been my displeasure to be afflicted with.

Optional sunshade didn't fit, it sagged down over my eyes in ten minutes, bracing it and making sure the hardware was correct and correctly installed made no difference. It was only $60, Lowes was far away, it wasn't worth fighting over.

Both aluminum blade spindles broke - fixed under warranty by dealer (30 miles away).

Anti-vibration straps on hood fell off. I left them off and took the hood off for better visibility and for better service access, which I have needed a LOT.

The gas tank filler is partially blocked by the cowling. You are WELL advised to let the engine cool completely before attempting to fill the gas tank because it is almost impossible to refuel without splashing fuel on the hot engine. The tank itself is opaque plastic so you never know the fuel level unless you check constantly or it overflows on being filled. Talk about dumb design . . .

Two welds on the mower deck broke, dropping it to the ground. Fixed under warranty by same dealer.

Pulley bolt on the deck worked loose (evidently never tightened), ruined the drive belt. Replaced with decent quality hardware, the OEM bolt was as soft as butter. If there is such a thing as a Grade Zero bolt, this is it. You could practically squeeze it gently and leave fingerprints in the metal.

Both front tires dry rotted. Husqvarna supplied inner tubes under "We're doing you a favor" warranty program. (That was inside of six months from date of purchase.) Got the usual "Gee, we've never seen that before" line of BS from them before they asked for my shipping address,

Steering spindles loose, mower steered about as well as an epileptic spider on roller skates on ice. Shimmed with washers, now it more or less goes where I want it to. It'll never be a sports car, but at least now it will go in a straight line. Almost. Sometimes.

Oil quick-drain loose, it was less than two turns from falling out, which would have poured hot oil on my left foot and blown the engine because ALL the oil would have been on my left foot and none left in the crankcase. Teflon tape, tightened and safety wired, so that should be the end of that issue.

Deck baffles vibrated apart, locked up the mower and bent a blade. Not once, but twice. Fortunately, these are on eBay for $12 or so and I'm getting good at changing them. I am also keeping a spare on the shelf, I *KNOW* I'll need it sooner or later.

Muffler vibrated apart - replaced. 135 hours.

Carb rebuilt twice in 200 hours, still ran like warmed over cr*p. Finally bought a replacement carb (eBay again) for about 1/5 of what the dealer wanted, discovered that the intake manifold gasket under the carb spacer (which is why I didn't catch it on the two rebuilds) was installed folded from the factory and there was a big air leak in the intake tract, which MIGHT explain why the mower always ran lean, stank of gas, started hard, backfired and seemed to lack power. After 200 hours of ownership, now it seems to run at least decently. (Keeping fingers crossed.)

One of the carb rebuilds was prompted by large clouds of white smoke from the exhaust, it seems the float sank and filled the crankcase with gasoline. Drained and refilled everything, the carb kit had two different length needle valves with no instructions or any way to tell which was which. Took a chance, at least it didn't run any worse, so evidently I guessed right.

FOUR batteries so far, it needs a new one every 24 to 30 months, mower is stored inside, never gets cold, and on a charge maintainer. Good old WalMart, $27 a pop, at least they are close.

Deck washout plug broke off/fell apart, evidently from the extreme stress of being exposed to sunlight. Replaced.

Slap it together and get it out the door. Lowes' warranty is (or was, it is long expired) "Bring it here, we'll get back to you within six to eight weeks, it could be more."

I've had old, tired 50's vintage Fiats that ran better and were more dependable than this Husqvarna mower, and that should tell us something.

I'm now mowing with the Kubota, and there is a zero-turn mower in our future, which is why I'm reading this thread. The Husqvarna is going to be used as an aircraft tug, we'll see if it likes that better. Or maybe I'll just blow it up and claim it as a casualty loss.

Friends don't let friends buy Husqvarna garden tractors.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

/ CEO of Husqvarna Calls it Quits on Lawn and Garden Tractors (Petrol), says U.S. is Too "Challenging". #16  
Boy I sure don't know why they would exit such a nice market. Mine was built like a tank!

BuiltLikeTank.JPG

Uh, GAS tank, that is.

Under the front of the cowling, there is an enclosed 'Leaf Catcher'. In the 'Leaf Catcher', is where the exhaust from the engine exits. Nice design.

/ CEO of Husqvarna Calls it Quits on Lawn and Garden Tractors (Petrol), says U.S. is Too "Challenging". #17  
I know it's a shell game, but this news is disappointing. Husqvarna was always a good brand, I have their brush cutters, whippers and chain saws. Considered a used lawn tractor earlier this year. Hmmm.

/ CEO of Husqvarna Calls it Quits on Lawn and Garden Tractors (Petrol), says U.S. is Too "Challenging". #18  
Boy I sure don't know why they would exit such a nice market. Mine was built like a tank!

View attachment 704813

Uh, GAS tank, that is.

Under the front of the cowling, there is an enclosed 'Leaf Catcher'. In the 'Leaf Catcher', is where the exhaust from the engine exits. Nice design.

Holy ****!

Seeing yours, I am now officially done bitching about mine.

Eject! Eject! Eject!

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

/ CEO of Husqvarna Calls it Quits on Lawn and Garden Tractors (Petrol), says U.S. is Too "Challenging". #19  
Well this news really SUCKS. I just bought an expensive (to me) Husqvarna TS248G ride on mower. With the grass catcher and taxes the total cost was about $5,000 CAD. Now I read this may be a major problem waiting to happen. So far I love this thing but it only has about 10 hrs on it.

Hoping I get lucky with this one.

/ CEO of Husqvarna Calls it Quits on Lawn and Garden Tractors (Petrol), says U.S. is Too "Challenging". #20  
I've been very satisfied with mine. I don't think I do anything "special" to it, and I certainly have never babied it around. I think (?) I've had it 5 years now, and it's just around 115 hours on the meter now. I primarily mow my lawn with it (current house is about 1 1/2 acres of "lawn"). I also have and continue to use it to pull a cart and a 30 gal sprayer around. I just used it this morning to spray for broad leaf weeds, two spray tanks full across the lawn.

Some of these are pictures from our old house...

20170429_110117.jpg

20180512_161632.jpg

20200516_152836.jpg

New house...

20210531_083324.jpg

I don't have a picture of it pulling the sprayer around.

I'm still on my original "everything" with the exception of blades. Still the original battery, tires, carb, ignition module, seat, steering gears, everything except oil, filters (oil, air, and gas) and spark plugs. I did the first oil change and tune up at 100 hours. So, I'm certainly not "coddling" it in any way. You could even make the case that I'm "abusing" it. Everything works, and it still starts up on the second crank when cold (and choked), and still starts up by just bumping the starter when warmed up fully.

About the only thing I wish was that the mower blades were tougher. The "high lift" blades do cut better, but they are pretty fragile and easily broken and dull quickly. Just mowing grass and not hitting anything and I can only get about 2 mows out of them before they are pretty dull and need sharpening. The mulching blades are terrible. Don't cut worth beans, won't "lift" the grass at all and don't mulch worth a crap.

I bought this at one of the "evil" Big Box Stores that everyone likes to blame for pretty much all that is wrong with society.

Only thing I do in prep for winter is run the engine until ALL of the gas sucks dry through the carb, and put a battery tender on the original battery. That's it. Come spring time, I take off the battery tender, fill it with gas, and crank it long enough for the fuel pump to pump the carb bowl full of gas and it starts right up. Every time.

I'm very satisfied with mine, and would buy another one just like it tomorrow if I needed one.