Cataracts and other visual concerns!

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #21  
I'm with Deserteagle71 on this. Not being a vet I have no experience with the VA, but I've heard plenty of stories. Then there's just the inefficiency (at best) and sheer incompetence (way too often) of anything run by the government.
Obamacare® was theoretically supposed to address many of the inefficiencies of the healthcare system, but instead just piled on more layers of bureaucracy.
Why, for instance if you go into the hospital don't you get just one bill? It seems that half the people who see you, even if for a minute or two are "independent contractors" and bill you separately? Why can't they just bill the hospital and let them act as a clearinghouse for all subcontractors? Never mind the BS charges like $50 for an aspirin or a cup of water.

5030 does make a good point about affordability. The insurance companies nickel and dime every line item, so the hospitals make up the difference by sticking the non/under-insured with exorbitant bills.

I wish I knew the solution...so-called socialized medicine sounds good on the surface, but rationing any sort of elective procedures seems to come with the territory. Our system, while being better in that regard will send you to the poorhouse. There's gotta be a better way, but I don't think the insurance or medical lobby will let anything stop their gravy train.

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #22  
All I know is, we have Federal Employees BC/BS with Medicare and whatever Medicare don't cover, BC/BS does and all rates are pre negotiated so we never see any bill except the paid EOB and it's been that way right along. Is it a cheap date? On the contrary but as the folks at the BC/BS office tells us, we have the 'Cadillac' plan and it is. We have never paid out of pocket, any hospital related bill, ever. Not a cheap date but worth it 100%. My ongoing cancer issues as well as a couple operations and radiation and chemo and all the rest has run up total charges of over a million bucks in the last 7 years which is more than enough to bankrupt anyone with no or marginal healthcare. The only thing we pay is the 5 buck co pay on scrips and that is it. Some of the meds I take cost over a grand a bottle (I get to see the actual cost on the EOB's but they are all 5 bucks, no exception. People with limited healthcare or none at all are screwed big time and that isn't us and I'm good with it. I could have went the VA route, I enlisted in the Navy back during the start of Vietnam but my dad died when I had just completed my basic training and I got a sole surviving son's discharge so I was not eligible for VA benefits and in a way, glad I was not as I hear horror stories about the VA and their sub standard care.

We deal with none of that, fine with me. Like the rep at Federal Employees BC/BS told us, we will never be liable for any charges, ever and we can go anywhere, any medical provider, nationwide, in fact I'm dealing with not only one provider, but also the Cleveland Clinic as well. Bit of a drive but I like more than one opinion and expertise.

What does it cost? About 700 a month and the Gummit is picking up 1/2. 700 a month sounds like a lot but in reality it's chump change for what we get and we can well afford it as well.

No, I'm not adopting any of you all either....lol

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #23  
I have had nothing but legal issues and $$$$$ coverage issues with BC/BS in my state.
I think there are multi-plan state by state, group by group, member by member differences negotiated behind the scenes.

As far as eye issues, lost one in a tractor accident. The other retinal hemorrhages, retinal detachments, cataract surgery, retinal hemorrhage, retinal detachment...and now...stability.

For cataracts I saw 20/15 after surgery for a brief while. Life was amazing. Just beautiful. I marveled at the detail, wonder, color and clarity of it all. Unfortunate it did not last. A retinal buckle chained the shape of the eye and I am back to 20/20 with glasses. But at least I can see. But darn, I never knew what I was missing.

Take care of your eyes. Always get second and third opinions. Always.

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #24  
Federal Employees BC/BS is an entirely different entity than standard BC/BS. In fact we have to 'educate' the providers as to whom to bill or the charges won't get paid. Always trying to put us an 'Anthem', whatever that is and that don't work.

Never had issue one, so long as they submit correctly, when they don't, they don't get paid. Real simple, problem is, people somehow cannot read the submission criteria.

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns!
I have had nothing but legal issues and $$$$$ coverage issues with BC/BS in my state.
I think there are multi-plan state by state, group by group, member by member differences negotiated behind the scenes.

As far as eye issues, lost one in a tractor accident. The other retinal hemorrhages, retinal detachments, cataract surgery, retinal hemorrhage, retinal detachment...and now...stability.

For cataracts I saw 20/15 after surgery for a brief while. Life was amazing. Just beautiful. I marveled at the detail, wonder, color and clarity of it all. Unfortunate it did not last. A retinal buckle chained the shape of the eye and I am back to 20/20 with glasses. But at least I can see. But darn, I never knew what I was missing.

Take care of your eyes. Always get second and third opinions. Always.
Keeping functional vision can be a chore for sure.

The cataract in left eye started forming about 10 years when I was 63 but I still seeing ok when COVID then long covid happened.

My annual eye exam nearly 3 months ago got me off a top dead center. My optometrist who I have known since 1982 because we were classmates for the four years of optometry college asked if I wanted to wait another year on cataract surgery and I said NO

I am 10 days post surgery on the left eye and I should have done this years ago.

So it is a baby boomer boom?

@Gale Hawkins What made you decide to have your eyes different, or are they different, and the corrected vision target is 20/20?

@ultrarunner What triggers an overnight order?

Personally, I suspect this is in my future and I don't look forward to it. I have had a heck of a time with glasses not being ground to the specified prescription (robotic grinding made my life so much better) and the aberrations drive my brain nuts. I've tried plastic lenses more than a few times and my brain doesn't adjust to the chromatic aberration, ever. Changing an ocular lens is not quite the same as a new pair of glasses...

All the best,

Peter
@ponytug when I got glasses in the 7th or 8th grade I was already nearsighted. About 10 years ago I started getting what the old-timers used to call second sight and got to the point where I could see at distance and still read without any glasses. Second sight typically comes right before you start getting cataracts because the index of the lens is changing. I told the clerk at the courthouse that I didn't need corrective lenses when I renewed my license along that time and she took the restriction off.

Fast forward until the last couple years in the left eye went back to being near sighted so I could not see well at a distance but I could read well and my right eye did not go backwards. It stayed where I could see 20/20 at a distance but couldn't read well up close so over the years I lost my glasses because I could see off in the distance to the right eye and I can see up close with the left eye.

The ophthalmologist he said people usually prefer to stay the same way they were before cataract surgery. So that is the reason I got one eye where I can now read and work on the phone or computer.

After the cataract surgery on both eyes is doing well and vision and stabilized, I will get a pair of glasses so that I can see 20/20 at a distance and 20/20 up near in each eye at the same time.

Being able to read and drive and not have to keep track of glasses is a huge Plus for me for daily living.

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #28  
I had cataract removal and distance lenses implanted last fall. Astigmatism corrected. Great improvement but readers required. Readers everywhere is a PIA. Some glare in certain lighting but generally a big improvement. And I finally get to wear cheap sunglasses lol.
My advice is let them do both eyes at once. One and done was offered but I chickened out. Wish I had done them both at once.

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #30  
Thousands of New York driver's licenses suspended over lack of vision tests: How to check your status

Kentucky is trying to put in place testing for senior citizens when they renew their driver license. But as of now you could live to be 120 and get yourself into the courthouse and renew your license without an eye exam or you could do it by mail.
In CA at age 70 a driving knowledge test and vision test is required every 5 yrs in person at the DMV :rolleyes: I had the glasses restriction removed after the cataract surgery lastfall. (y)