Cat 1 disc with cat 2 arms?

/ Cat 1 disc with cat 2 arms? #1  

gstrom99

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 855, John Deere 530R zero turn, Allis Chalmers D17 III, Ford 9N - SOLD, Kubota B1550, Yamaha Timberwolf 250, Husky saws, H & H 10k and Carry-On trailers
I have a cat 1 three point disc that I want to use with my cat 2 tractor. I've tried to attach it, but the cat 2 arms won't pull in far enough to latch to the cat 1 width. I sure don't want to heat/bend my lift arms. Do these style adapters widen the cat 1 attaching point enough to fit the cat 2 arms?

1713623362658.jpeg

/ Cat 1 disc with cat 2 arms? #2  
I have a cat 1 three point disc that I want to use with my cat 2 tractor. I've tried to attach it, but the cat 2 arms won't pull in far enough to latch to the cat 1 width. I sure don't want to heat/bend my lift arms. Do these style adapters widen the cat 1 attaching point enough to fit the cat 2 arms?

View attachment 863395

Not sure how those would work. I think it might be easier to extend the stabilizer links so that the arms come closer together as long as there are no clearance issues on the tractor.

Something like this maybe:

/ Cat 1 disc with cat 2 arms? #3  
Sounds odd. Could you post a pic of the 3PH arms?

/ Cat 1 disc with cat 2 arms?
Sounds odd. Could you post a pic of the 3PH arms?
Now that I just went out to take a pic and measure, it IS odd. When pulled tightly together, the outside of the lift arms are 29". The suspect disc is 15 miles away, but measuring other cat 1 attachments around here tells me they should pull in enough to clip in. The spec for the standard cat 1 attachment width is 26", cat 2 is 32". I'll have to try this again...
Allis three point.jpg

I think those bushings I posted won't help at all. They're designed to mount with the big to the outside. There'd be no way to put the clips in. I'll look for longer pins (see two lengths - 5" and 6 3/8"), use spacer bushings, and re-try.

/ Cat 1 disc with cat 2 arms? #6  
You need to extend your sway links so the arms come in farther. I cannot see it they are threaded or if they are 2 piece overlapping with retaining pins but therein lies your issue. They need to be slacked off so your lower arms can get closer together.

5030:
Thanks but, the links are both adjustable. If they're made longer to allow the arms to come closer, they'd catch on the drawbar hitch and prevent the thing from raising. The ends would probably be lower than the disc pins too.

/ Cat 1 disc with cat 2 arms? #8  
5030:
Thanks but, the links are both adjustable. If they're made longer to allow the arms to come closer, they'd catch on the drawbar hitch and prevent the thing from raising. The ends would probably be lower than the disc pins too.

It's hard to tell from the photo but it looks like the drawbar frame is removable and that would allow the arms come closer together. A bit of a pain but a would that work..??

No. The drawbar holds the front of the arms, so I can't take it off...

/ Cat 1 disc with cat 2 arms? #10  
Ok, things are starting to make sense to me now, if I'm correct this is an Allis Chambers D17 III.
I'm not sure when AC started putting 3 points on those or if what you have is even a "factory" unit.

1713808127187.png

It may be very difficult to narrow those down to the correct width for a cat 1 implement.
A torch and bending the lift arms just a bit 4 or 5 inches back from the front pin points could be a viable option.