Case 580 Backhoe swing lock

/ Case 580 Backhoe swing lock #11  
Sideways, not that I know of. There is a transport lock to keep the boom and dipper upright when roading or using loader bucket. When”folded“ for transport I dont remember the hoe being wider than the rear tires.
If I remember right, the lock Is a pedal to the right of the right swing pedal. The lock can be engaged by manipulating the hoe and loader without slamming the hoe into the lock position. Get the hoe as close as possible into the boom lock using the stick and bucket, then lower/curl the loader bucket (raising front end) to finish locking in.
A little digging and on page 91, remove swing pin

/ Case 580 Backhoe swing lock #12  
For a PDF download look at page 53
it shows Page 98-99 of the manual

reference 12 and 13 above and below the picture

Installing swing Lock pin for transport

/ Case 580 Backhoe swing lock
Turns out there is a boom swing lock pin that I found inside the cab after removing the crap the previous owner had. Some good info in this thread though that I can use to understand things beyond just using a pin to mask the fundamental problem.

/ Case 580 Backhoe swing lock #14  
I’ve never run a Case but I’ve watched them run a lot. There was a lock, they would always bring it back quickly and there was a long handle that would lock it and also release it. I’m not sure it prevented swing or not.
That simply locks the boom in the upright position. The older 580s used a removable pin, maybe 1" diameter and 6" long with a ring handle on top.

/ Case 580 Backhoe swing lock
That simply locks the boom in the upright position. The older 580s used a removable pin, maybe 1" diameter and 6" long with a ring handle on top.
No, I believe it's a swing lock. The boom is locked upright by a large locking latch that's controlled with released with a rudimentary foot pedal.

/ Case 580 Backhoe swing lock #16  
My new Holland 555E had a large pin to secure the swing during travel. I used it whenever I wasn't using the backhoe part...same with the extendahoe pin

/ Case 580 Backhoe swing lock #17  
No, I believe it's a swing lock. The boom is locked upright by a large locking latch that's controlled with released with a rudimentary foot pedal.
DodgeMan described the boom lock.