Case 580 Backhoe swing lock

/ Case 580 Backhoe swing lock #1  

RayCo

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, Case 580 Super L
After 15 years of having a little Kubota BX, I recently got a second backhoe, a Case 580 Super L. My assumption or hope is that there exists a pin of some sorts that can be dropped into the backhoe in its parked position to lock it in place, preventing any sideways drift. On my little Kubota, it's just a brass pin with a handle that you manually pull out and park in a little slot on the frame. If a similar item exists for this Case backhoe, the previous owner did not have it. What's a good go-to place to seek out such a part? I'm not sure what it'd be called.

/ Case 580 Backhoe swing lock #2  
My kubota has that feature, but the our larger JD310 hoe - equivalent to your 580 - does not have a swing lock pin. If it did, it would have to be a monster of a pin.

/ Case 580 Backhoe swing lock
Yeah, this thing swings on its own way too much, so I guess it's been a while since the hydraulics were freshened. I don't want to know what that'll cost. I'm out of my league here after so many years of just taking care of a cute little subcompact TLB.

/ Case 580 Backhoe swing lock #4  
I’ve never run a Case but I’ve watched them run a lot. There was a lock, they would always bring it back quickly and there was a long handle that would lock it and also release it. I’m not sure it prevented swing or not.

/ Case 580 Backhoe swing lock #5  
So I'm guessing it is sloppy enough that it slams back and forth from side to side as you travel? Otherwise does it matter if it drifts?

I guess the first thing is to find out whether the slop is in the hydraulics or in the swing frame pins and bushings. My bet is bushings. The 580 is even more user friendly than the 310, and all of its pins in the swing mechanism have bushings - even the main pivot. Bushing slop? Or hydraulics?

Here's a picture of that 580 swing assembly from a parts place online.

rScotty
Screenshot 2023-04-07 at 8.44.00 AM.png

/ Case 580 Backhoe swing lock #6  
I’ve never run a Case but I’ve watched them run a lot. There was a lock, they would always bring it back quickly and there was a long handle that would lock it and also release it. I’m not sure it prevented swing or not.
That sounds like the main boom lock. Most have that feature; not all have a swing lock. I think the reason is the way the hydraulic geometry would work to overpower the lock. But that's a guess.

/ Case 580 Backhoe swing lock #7  
After 15 years of having a little Kubota BX, I recently got a second backhoe, a Case 580 Super L. My assumption or hope is that there exists a pin of some sorts that can be dropped into the backhoe in its parked position to lock it in place, preventing any sideways drift. On my little Kubota, it's just a brass pin with a handle that you manually pull out and park in a little slot on the frame. If a similar item exists for this Case backhoe, the previous owner did not have it. What's a good go-to place to seek out such a part? I'm not sure what it'd be called.
Sideways, not that I know of. There is a transport lock to keep the boom and dipper upright when roading or using loader bucket. When”folded“ for transport I dont remember the hoe being wider than the rear tires.
If I remember right, the lock Is a pedal to the right of the right swing pedal. The lock can be engaged by manipulating the hoe and loader without slamming the hoe into the lock position. Get the hoe as close as possible into the boom lock using the stick and bucket, then lower/curl the loader bucket (raising front end) to finish locking in.

/ Case 580 Backhoe swing lock #9  
The hoes that I have run with a transport lock you engaged it by bringing the main boom in rapidly and then reversing you boom control while it was still moving to actually bring it back over center then the transport lock would engage. To disengage you powered it in or out to disengage the transport lock and gravity would take the boom back out of the over center spot.
If the side swing was floppy for transport or loader operation it was treated just like worn out riggers that didn't want to stay in place a couple of short chains and welded chain hooks.

/ Case 580 Backhoe swing lock #10  
I have a Case 580CK. Mid 70s vintage. It has on the main boom a steel strap welded to the boom with a space underneath that a chain is then run through. This chain is then affixed on either side of the boom to keep it vertical during transport or when doing bucket work. I suppose a couple more chains could be hooked to the strap to prevent it swinging. I have never used the strap anyway. The boom does leak down when I'm doing bucket work and I just reach behind and grab the lever and raise the boom again. The boom will also sometimes drift sideways and then I just reach back and press the proper swing pedal with whatever hand to swing the boom back to center. I will also sometimes reach back and swing the boom one way or the other to change the weight distribution on the machine while I am working. Or to provide extra clearance behind the machine. Since I have only sat on or run one backhoe and it's the one I own I may be doing some things wrong.
Eric