Case 450 Dozer Battery

/ Case 450 Dozer Battery #11  
Group 31 is so common in large machinery and trucks. My IH7500 takes 3 or 4 group 31’s.

/ Case 450 Dozer Battery #12  
As easy as MY Case 450 starts, almost any 12V battery will start it!

FOR SURE any 12V that will start a pu.

SR

/ Case 450 Dozer Battery
Ended up with a 4D battery after measuring the box. Battery is good and so is the starter. The bad news is that the combination won’t turn the poor old engine over. I’m afraid it had sat too long. I have zero diesel knowledge which doesn’t help my cause. If it was a gas engine, I’d pull the plugs and fill the cylinders with penetrating oil. Any suggestions on how to free it up?

/ Case 450 Dozer Battery #14  
I've never had to free up a stuck diesel like that. My understanding is that you pull the injectors - or I suppose you could also pull the glow plugs if it has them. Anyway to get access to fill the cylinders with your choice of a rust-busting penetrating oil.
Followed every few days with a socket on the crankshaft nut and a long socket wrench to try to get the crank to move a few degrees. But that is hearsay, not knowledge.

You may want to move this thread or restart it up at a more popular part of Tractorbynet.

A lot more people will see it there.

/ Case 450 Dozer Battery #15  
Ended up with a 4D battery after measuring the box. Battery is good and so is the starter. The bad news is that the combination won’t turn the poor old engine over. I’m afraid it had sat too long. I have zero diesel knowledge which doesn’t help my cause. If it was a gas engine, I’d pull the plugs and fill the cylinders with penetrating oil. Any suggestions on how to free it up?

What steps have you taken to verify the engine is actually seized?

/ Case 450 Dozer Battery
What steps have you taken to verify the engine is actually seized?
I have only tried using the starter to turn it. When the starter which was just rebuilt was unable, I removed the starter and tried a bar on the fly wheel. I’m afraid to pry much harder than I have. I’m afraid of busting off a tooth.

/ Case 450 Dozer Battery #17  
That pry bar on a flywheel tooth method only works if everything is real free...... With just a little bit of "stuck", It's almost impossible to turn an engine with leverage on a flywheel toothwithout breaking something. I agree it needs to be verified that the engine is stuck fast.
Can you get to the front crankshaft nut? Or some front pulleys have provision to turn them. Either one will give you enough leverage with body weight on a 3 or 4 foot cheater to rotate the crank. It is worth the effort to find a tool for doing that, because if it is stuck you are going to have to do that to rock the crank even after putting penetrating oil in the cylinders.
I'd somehow assumed that the starter was known to be able to spin the engine. But if the crank does rotate with a socket on it, that says something about the starter as well.
rScotty

/ Case 450 Dozer Battery #18  
It sounds stuck to me, did a bit of water get in it through the exhaust pipe?

IF it's stuck, pulling the injectors and adding Kroil of something similar is the next step.

SR

/ Case 450 Dozer Battery
It sounds stuck to me, did a bit of water get in it through the exhaust pipe?

IF it's stuck, pulling the injectors and adding Kroil of something similar is the next step.

SR
The exhaust is capped but after so much time sitting, I’m not sure.