Carryall & 3pt geometry question

/ Carryall & 3pt geometry question #1  

phantom309

Silver Member
Howdy all-

Just recently found this site - it's a good'un!

I've been planning to build a 3pt-mount hay fork, but upon reading these forums, found several notes with high praise for a more generic attachment - a carryall!

Does anybody use a carryall to move large round bales? Any pictures, suggestions, etc would be appreciated.

Also, I have a question about 3pt hitch geometry. My question deals with the placement of the top link and how that affects the angle of the attachment as the 3pt is raised.

Ideally, when lifting a round bale when using a carryall, it should tilt back some as it is lifted. But the carryall is being used as a small platform/bed, it may be desirable to have it remain level as it is lifted.

I'm guessing that the height of the top link mount on the carryall will affect this. What is the correct height for the top link attachment to maintain a level position when raised?

Would a shorter attachment point cause the carryall to tilt back when raised?

I'm thinking it would be nice to be able to chose between a couple positions when hooking up the top link.

Any specs on what height to use would be appreciated.

Mark

ps: Attached is a picture of my "new" tractor - a CASE 385.

Attachments

• 53-141132-CASE385.jpg
    53-141132-CASE385.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 895
   / Carryall & 3pt geometry question #2  
Mark,
I pondered this question when I made a 3PH receiver hitch. Make sure the distance and offset of the pins/holes is the same on the tractor. Also make sure the top link is adjusted out the same length as your lift arms.
John

/ Carryall & 3pt geometry question #3  
Why not just use a 3ft spear to move round bales?

/ Carryall & 3pt geometry question #4  
Had occasion to load a few hundred round 5' x 5' bales of hay onto 16' trailers (3 bales per trailer) about 5 years ago using a 3-point hitch "carryall" on a 50hp White tractor, but it belonged to someone else; never really thought much about it, but the bales (and carryall) stayed pretty level all the time.

/ Carryall & 3pt geometry question #5  
Phantom,

I have a carry all. It is made of "L" shaped bar stock. Mine would not work to carry a large round bale (no spiking ability). It is used as a platform.

If you shorten the top link, it does indeed lean the platform back.

I agree that a 3pt bale spear is probably the better way to go.

/ Carryall & 3pt geometry question #6  
The other responses delt with the hay spear, I'll take a swing at the goemetry part. The 3ph arms move in arcs with the tractor end being fixed. To obtain the tilt back function the toplink would have to reach the top of its arc before the lift arms, to obtain the tilt back function. The toplink would be very vertical in the up position, hence its implement end would be higher than normal. See the KK pin thread, that is exactly what they're trying to do, raise the tail wheel. So, the best way to build is to amble out to your favorite implement with a tape measure and work from there. SteveV

/ Carryall & 3pt geometry question #7  
   / Carryall & 3pt geometry question #8  
Consider a hydraulic top link. I love mine and it puts the implement at any angle with my finger tips.

I'm building a forklift attachment right now for use as a hay loader, carryall, forklift (hydraulic top link critical for this) and also to mount a man basket. Later I'll adapt the forks to a FEL.

I think you will find the top link is about 18" above the bottom lift pins. There is an ANSI specification for proper 3pt connection.

JRPoux
JRPoux.

/ Carryall & 3pt geometry question
A hydraulic top link! I didn't know there was such a thing! That sounds like the hot ticket!

I do know that my new tractor has a couple of hydraulic connectors on the rear end. But I don't know if it has the necessary controls to control the pressure to those lines.

Would a hydraulic top link come with the proper fittings to allow it to plug right into my tractor? If my tractor does have the proper controls, what would they be called? Off hand, I don't think that it does. It has a lever to raise/lower the lift arms, one for draft control, one to regulate the speed of lifting/lowering... Hey, now that I think of it, there was a "mystery lever" down low that wasn't labeled. I'll look and see if I can tell what it does. If my tractor came with these hydraulic fittings, would you expect that it has the control(s) to control a hydraulic top link?

Assuming that the hydraulic top link has connectors to plug right into my tractor, how does that work? It is like the quick connect fittings on an air compressor? Is there any fluid loss when you connect/disconnect? Any concerns about introducing air or contaminants into the system?

Thanks for everybody's ideas. Oh yeah, I have thought about also making a hay fork/spear and may do that one of these days. The only downside of that attachment is that it is only good for that one task. I'd likely have to attach and remove it every time I wanted to put out a round bale. That amount of work is roughly equal to the amount of work to roll a round bale onto a fork/carryall. I'm thinking that since a carryall is a much better "general use" attachment, I might be able to leave it on the tractor more often.

Thanks everybody for all the info and sorry for all the dumb questions. My last tractor (Ford 9N) was much simpler to use - it had a steering wheel and a single lever for the lift, and it only worked occasionally! And JRPOUX, I'd love to see pictures, etc of your hay loader/carryall and info on the hydraulic top link!

Best,

Mark

/ Carryall & 3pt geometry question #10  
Mark, I came in late but like all the advice you got so far. If I were going to build I would at least consider a carryall platform with square tube or pipe as the horizontal frame members that run fore and aft where a platform would be placed. Then I would make a couple spears of the next size smaller/telescoping pipe/sq tube to insert in those fore and aft members to convert the carryall to a round bale hauler on demand. You might find the dinensions compatible with storing the spears collapsed inside their carrier. Pins would hold them in the collapsed, intermediate, or extended position.

In general it seems hydraulic top links are NOT plugged into your hydraulic remotes but operate from a hydraulic lever mounted with yoiur other hydraulic controls. There should be room to add it even if the tractor maker didn't make provisions. A better use for a hydraulic remote would be to raise/lower hydraulic scarifiers on a box blade while retaining top lift adjustability. You want both not one or the other. I have a hydraulic raised (gravity lowered) PTO driven 3PH mounted cement mixer that uses the remote, likewise the post holl auger. Don't "use up" your rremote for hydraulic top lift, you would most likely not be happy in the long run. Many folks have more than one hydraulic remote, I have only the one but I also have hydraulic tilt to let the lower 3PH arms raise and lower unequally.
Frequently you see these refered to as TnT (Top 'n' Tilt) and are a very worthwile addition as they give you a lot of precise control over the attitude of your implements usig your fingertips withoug getting down off of the tractor and making repetitive mechanical adjustments. I was very fortunate to have had this topic broached in my presence here on TBN so I knew to order my tractor with TnT. Now that I have used it a few hundred hours I can just barely imagine how tremendously awkward and non productive it must be to do certain operations with manual top and tilt. Worse than hand cranking your car to start it every time, I think.

O_O_P_S sorry JRPOUX, I didn't read to the bottom of Mark's post before starting this answer. Hope I didn't steal your thunder, I was just imagineering (imagining - engineering). If you have been there done that, please share.

Patrick