Carpenter-Lackender update

/ Carpenter-Lackender update #1  

duane

Gold Member
Tractor
Toro 266H and PT422
Hi Eric

Just wondering how the backhoe attachment was working out. Give us a review of it's performance to date. I think a number of us are interested. (I had to dig a small trench by hand yesterday, no fun. Got me thinking about your hoe)

thanks
Duane

/ Carpenter-Lackender update #2  
I hope Eric's Lackender on the 4xx is working as well as mine on the 1845. Saturday, with minimal effort, I stirred a compost pile, dug some topsoil to fill a few old postholes, and then tamped them down, and loaded a full trailer load of wood from fallen branches. I have found it easy to pick brush up with the bucket and thumb. More importantly, fairly heavy logs are easy to pick up and place it the trailer. A lot less chain saw work, and no back complaints for each deadfall.
Some day, I'll dig a deep hole with the hoe, in the meantime, however, it has been a lot more useful than even I claimed when rationalizing buying it in the first place.

/ Carpenter-Lackender update #3  
If I may chime in uninvited, I would consider <font color=blue> it has been a lot more useful than even I claimed when rationalizing buying it in the first place </font color=blue> a strong endorsement!!! Congrats for your good assessment and success, Charlie!

/ Carpenter-Lackender update #4  
Doug:
If you haven't one yet, I strongly recommend a thumb for your backhoe. I ordered mine when I bought the hoe, but didn't bolt it on right away. It made a tremendous difference. Even straight digging improved, since the bucket can bite back against the thumb instead of only pulling the tractor.

/ Carpenter-Lackender update #5  
Duane,

I still haven't had a chance to put many hours on the hoe. I did do some digging recently: short 3' deep trench in hard soil. The hoe performed well. It was sure alot better than a pick and shovel! /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif The only problem I've had is with the hydraulic connectors. I borrowed the female connectors from my snowplow, and while digging, one of them started leaking. The hoe has 1/2" hoses, so I used reducer fittings to get down to 1/4" for the PT. I think I'm going to reverse that and put 1/2" fittings on the PT; they'll be stronger and easier to take on and off.

I'm happy with the Lackender, and think it will only get better as I learn how to operate it. The setup on the PT is a little awkward. One thing I've done to make it better is to add an extension on to the aux hyd. lever. I made a prototype out of plywood and attached it with hose clamps. I think I'll make it even longer, so that I can work it and the joystick with one hand. Once I have it figured out I'll have a non "Rube Goldberg" version fabricated. Even without the hoe it's nice not to have to bend over to use the lever. I also plan to add a thumb ala Charlie.

So far, so good!

/ Carpenter-Lackender update #6  
<font color=red>Once I have it figured out I'll have a non "Rube Goldberg" version fabricated. Even without the hoe it's nice not to have to bend over to use the lever. </font color=red>
Eric: When Rube Goldberg died, we held a wake in the shed that we were using to build race cars, etc. Many of the same people gather round the PT to give unrequested advice on whatever project is underway. Rube was and is the patron saint of our group, the motto of which remains: "You can too make a silk purse out of a sow's ear." We have some t-shirts that say "Ignorance with conviction."
Glad to hear the hoe works. Rube would have joined the PT forum for pointers on his next cartoons.

/ Carpenter-Lackender update #7  
OK, my experience this weekend with the water pipes and all this talk about Lackender have gotten me thinking. I doubt I'll get to it this year, but next year sometime, I might actually attempt to fabricate a small arm and a "Charlie thumb" to attach the trencher bucket too. The 8" bucket mounted as is does dig pretty well (does take some patience though), but adding an arm would give me quite a bit more reach. Hmmm...OK I think I've talked myself into it...

Dave

/ Carpenter-Lackender update #8  
Charlie,

"Ignorance with Conviction" I like it! ( size L) /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Carpenter-Lackender update #9  
/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Carpenter-Lackender update #10  
Hey fella, what was the approximate distance from pivot point to pivot point on that arm?

Dave