car trailer how to ?

/ car trailer how to ? #1  

9973720wb19

Platinum Member
Tractor
Many
i just got a flatbed car trailer to hall my vintage car; when strapping down do you cross the straps or just pull them straight directly from the car to the downties? ive seen it done both ways,

/ car trailer how to ? #2  
I always use chains and binders whether securing a tractor or vehicle. Even though only one front and back is required if under 10K weight I use two in front, two in back. I do not cross them but think crossing them is also acceptable.

/ car trailer how to ? #3  
Depends what you are grabbing. I like crossing straps/chains when possible

/ car trailer how to ? #4  
Hey there. Chains or 2 inch straps are very exceptable for transporting a car. What are you able to connect to on your car? Frame? If needed j- hooks to fit into the slot of frames work great!! I highly approve straps over the tires as well. Being a wrecker driver in the past I like to cross my chains/ straps as that way you are pulling the vehicle both directions. Always use at least 3 chains or straps or a combination for the load you have provided.

Straps need to be 2 inch IMO and will have a breaking strength of 10,000 pounds/ working load of 3,300. I just bought double j hook straps at menards 25 foot two inch for 10$ !!!! Smart strap brand.

Chains - must use grade 43 or grade 70 in 5/16 or 3/8 or a combination for the two is a very acceptable idea. Binders can be expensive but can be had at tractor supply or menards for a good deal! If connecting chains together you must use only certain connections as "temperary links" void the strength of the chain in the eyes of the dot officer.

/ car trailer how to ? #5  
I use 2 in front and 2 in rear. Sometimes crossed sometimes straight, depends on where I am hooking, length of strap etc. What matters most is that they pull against each other to keep the car in place. I usually:
Load car
Connect all straps
Snug all straps
Take car out of gear (and release brake)
Tighten all straps
Put car in gear (and set brake)