canopy

/ canopy #11  
Check out the thread <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=custom&Number=68665&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1>Canopy Makes it Loud</A>. There a picture of acoustic foam used for sound deadening on the driver side of a canopy

/ canopy #12  
The sheathing is a fiberous material pressed like chipboard. It is engineered to dampen the sound of the AC system in your home. Lighter than the same thickness of plywood, but heavier than foam. In my application, it is sandwitched between a 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" aangle frame and the aluminum top. For my installation, weight has not been an issue. The egg crate material will be much lighter, but I chose to use the sheathing for three reasons: 1. It is what the canopy manufacturers in this area of Texas use. 2. It is less expensive. 3. I put a layer of paint on it, so iit won't soak up water and mold if I wash it off. For your application, egg crate might be better. Try 3M "Super Weatherstrip Adheasive" as a glue. Also called "Gorilla Snot". Body shops use it. Good glue.

Photo above. How big is your canopy ? I have a piece of Aluminum left over. Another advantage of aluminum I left out: The material I bought has a diamond plate mirror finish on the top, like the tool boxes at Tractor supply but thicker, so probably reflects 95+% of the radiant heat. Important in Texas.

JRPoux

Attachments

• 53-138040-CANOPY.jpg
    53-138040-CANOPY.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 456
   / canopy
jrpoux,

My canopy will be 48" by 56" with a 2" lip bent on a 45 degree angle on the long edges, so it doesn't just look like a flat piece of tin. After reading TonyC's post I thought the eggcrate may work better for the sound deadening aspect, but I may take your word on the asphalt sheathing and sandwich it like you did. Then, no glue to deal with. I'm going to have to call around for it. I've never seen or, heard of it before.

Thanks,
winchman

/ canopy #14  
Chipboard is a plywood -esque type product... a bit more robust and light than particle board.. but without the strencth of plywood.

My NH has this at the top pf the cannopy as a sounf absorbant.
Acoustic fom would work ok as well.. will work better.. but also wear out in the elements. Anything will be better than a hard reflective surface.

Soundguy

/ canopy #15  
what do you use to bend the edges of your top. I was thinking of finding someone with a large metal brake

/ canopy
ewoss3,

Exactly! A buddy of mine has a sheet metal fab. shop, so he used a brake to bend the edges. The 2" lip bent on 45 degrees looks good in my opinion.

winchman

/ canopy #17  
The 45 degree lip also adds a lot of strength.

The asphalt sheathing stuff might be called plenum board. It looks similar to chip board, but the strands of material almost look like strings and it is much lighter. It also is painted black with asphalt. Not enough paint, however.

When I made the angle frame, I cut three slots with a chop saw in the shorter pieces that run perpendicular to the length of the tractor. The slots divided the angle into four equal sections. Then I heated and bent the angle so the ends of the slots touched. Then I filled the slots with weld. The result was the perpendicular pieces loooked bowed down. It put a gradual curve in the canopy to shed water and add strength. If you don't understand I can send a picture.

/ canopy
jrpoux,

I'm going to call around today about the ashpalt sheathing stuff. I understand the curve you put in the top and it is a good idea, but I don't think I'm going to do it. As far as rain run-off goes, I don't think the tractor will ever be sitting in a position where the top would be perfectly level and the water would not run off.

Thanks for the input,
winchman