Can Hours Be Rolled Back?

/ Can Hours Be Rolled Back? #1  

Git-R-Done

Bronze Member
Tractor
2021 JD 1025r (Process Buying)
Just curious while looking at a used tractor. Is there a way that someone could roll back the hours or stop the hours from reading accurately on unit? If YES what should I be looking for or at??

Git-R-Done

/ Can Hours Be Rolled Back? #2  
On old tractors it's pretty possible. Sometimes the hour meters broke and were replaced.

I know my BX needed a new gauge console and installing it changed out the computer as well so all the data went back to zero.

How old are you thinking?

/ Can Hours Be Rolled Back? #3  
Yes, there is always a potential for it, but unlikely for something thats new. If it has a onboard Computer system you can check that way. I see that you are in Process of buying a 1025r. Chances are they havent tampered with it, but its easy to tell by common wear items, and general items like that. I have a New Holland TC35D, and its easy to tell even without an hour meter that it has approx 1800 hours, which is what the meter reads, but i am able to tell just by common wear issues. Same thing with My 1985 John deere 650

/ Can Hours Be Rolled Back? #4  
Even my newish L2501 has an instrument panel that looks easy to crack with dials for the hours. So a sleazy salesman could do it. Would they? Egh - I don't know. People are reliability lazy.

Many tractors base the hours of running at engine speed off the tachometer. So hours are counted at a 1:1 ratio only when running at PTO speed. Faster or slower affects the accumulation of hours. A tractor that Idled for 9 hours might our accumulate 3 on the meter.

Hours are just a consideration. A rig with 5000 hours may be in much better shape than one with 500 hours depending on maintenance, storage, usage, etc. Gotta look at the whole thing.

/ Can Hours Be Rolled Back? #5  
The short answer is yes.

/ Can Hours Be Rolled Back? #6  
What to look for? Has the dirt on the hour meter wires been recently rubbed off? Maybe they just replugged the wires in before trying to sell it.

/ Can Hours Be Rolled Back? #7  
Yes. This is how my 3000 hour backhoe arrived from tractorking54 on ebay.

hour meter.jpg

/ Can Hours Be Rolled Back? #8  
Ha! Looks like the "hammer and screwdriver" gauge adjustment method.

/ Can Hours Be Rolled Back? #9  
On old tractors it's pretty possible. Sometimes the hour meters broke and were replaced.

I know my BX needed a new gauge console and installing it changed out the computer as well so all the data went back to zero.

How old are you thinking?
Same here... I replaced my gauge console on my BX at 330 hrs. Auto reset to zero.

/ Can Hours Be Rolled Back? #10  
IMO the actual hours don't mean that much as far as the general condition and state of the machine and all its working parts etc...

IMO the most important reason to have an accurate hour meter is for maintenance...