Can all tractors flip over easy?

/ Can all tractors flip over easy? #101  
No they have height limits which is just about the stock height on many tractors.
The height limit is set by the organizers of the pull or the associated pulling association,
around my area it is normally 16 to 18 inches above the ground some places 20",
usually measured while you are on the scales weighing in.

/ Can all tractors flip over easy? #102  
"When the front end of the tractor lifts, the rear drawbar of the tractor will lower. This is a function of tractor geometry. The higher the front end rises, the lower the rear drawbar is driven. As the drawbar lowers, the "angle of pull" and the leverage the load has to tip a tractor rearward is also lowered. By design, a load will always lose its ability to tip a tractor rearward before the tractor's CG reaches the rear stability baseline."

/ Can all tractors flip over easy? #103  
Been going to those tractor pulls up the road from you since I was about 4 years old in the 1970’s, back when there was a picket snow fence to separate the fans from the edge of the track, 20’ of bleacher seats and the rest of the fans where on top of pickups and cattle trucks backed up to the track. Plenty of beer and cops to break up the fights...but back to the subject.

…I think they can flip backward because it’s a dynamic load..rotational momentum is required as well as a change (lessening) to the pulling action/traction of the tires, happening at the exact right moment.

In a more “steady state” pull, you will often see the front end rise to an “equilibrium” height and stay there, defined by the geometry of drawbar, and axle heights (and front end weight and pulling force, etc..)

2cents
If your referring to the County fair yes it's just a little ways from me. I have had the fortune to attend those pulls starting in the mid to late 50's.
I can recall when all the pulls used a stoneboat one of the last years for the stoneboat with the larger tractors they didn't have enough weight so a line of people stood next to the stoneboat and as it went past you stepped on and sat down. Imagine how that would go over in todays world :D

/ Can all tractors flip over easy? #104  
"When the front end of the tractor lifts, the rear drawbar of the tractor will lower. This is a function of tractor geometry. The higher the front end rises, the lower the rear drawbar is driven. As the drawbar lowers, the "angle of pull" and the leverage the load has to tip a tractor rearward is also lowered. By design, a load will always lose its ability to tip a tractor rearward before the tractor's CG reaches the rear stability baseline."

I see were you are getting your information from, some is correct not all of is.

/ Can all tractors flip over easy? #105  
I don't recall anyone mentioning line of draft in this thread but it is as important as, and partially determined by, where the load is attached to the towing vehicle. On a trailing moldboard plow, for example, the plow's hinged hitch attachment points are very low to the ground. The line of draft passes thru these attachment points and then to where the hitch attaches to the tractor drawbar. Where this line of draft passes above or below the tractor axle, among other variables, determines how the tractor (and the implement) react to the load.

The line of draft, in the plow scenario, may fall very close to the tractor axle, and result in the front of the tractor getting very "light" or even coming up if the power and traction are sufficient. I don't know where the line of draft falls in most tractor pulling but its sure up high enough to get maximum traction and resulting front end catching a lot of air.

I recall, as kids on the farm back in the '50's, hooking a log chain to the 8N 3PH top link attachment and then using the load to pull a wheelie. Lot of fun but a miracle we all survived! I don't recommend it!

/ Can all tractors flip over easy? #106  
DO YOU GUYS REALIZE YOU RAN THE "NEWBIE", WHO WAS THE ORIGINAL POSTER OFF SEVERAL DAYS AGO?????
I am surprised by most of you, and that especially means you Mossroad, because I thought better of this forum! We were all in his shoes at one time and needed guidance with what we needed to accomplish using what we had available. Y'all gave him the impression that an 8n would not plow new ground safely. Can you even begin to calculate the number of aceage that has been broken with a plow behind an 8n since it was new?
We should have helped him realize what it took to operate it safely rather than going off into a rabbithole.
Y'all do realize that an 8n isn't even a trike, so why push the issue?
I will go back to my corner, but wanted all of you to realize what you had done.
David from Jax

/ Can all tractors flip over easy? #109  
DO YOU GUYS REALIZE YOU RAN THE "NEWBIE", WHO WAS THE ORIGINAL POSTER OFF SEVERAL DAYS AGO?????
I am surprised by most of you, and that especially means you Mossroad, because I thought better of this forum! We were all in his shoes at one time and needed guidance with what we needed to accomplish using what we had available. Y'all gave him the impression that an 8n would not plow new ground safely. Can you even begin to calculate the number of aceage that has been broken with a plow behind an 8n since it was new?
We should have helped him realize what it took to operate it safely rather than going off into a rabbithole.
Y'all do realize that an 8n isn't even a trike, so why push the issue?
I will go back to my corner, but wanted all of you to realize what you had done.
David from Jax
Seeing how the OP stated in his original post that:
- he had no experience with tractors
- was concerned about flipping/rolling one over from what he had read before posting.
- he asked for opinions on older tractors
- someone mentioned to stay away from tricycle tractors due to them being easier to roll
- someone else saying they are not easier to roll
- I got into the discussing regarding why tricycle tractors are indeed more prone to rolling over. Scientific fact. Proven through many university studies and state ag agencies. Stats show it’s true. Stay away from tricycle tractors if you’re inexperienced.

It’s important information for someone with no tractor experience to know, the OP asked for it, so we gave it.

I hope he’s reading this thread, to see that there’s more to just hopping on and driving a tractor.

An 8N in this day and age, it not the best choice for someone who’s never had tractor experience before. Sure, it will work, but there are so many more better, affordable, and safer choices.