Calling all pilots....

/ Calling all pilots.... #21  
Heck with the cruise Dan, fly your own plane, that is the fun way to see Ak.

Yea that flying thing is another addiction that I am afraid I might get bit by if I get started. What I am looking for is something capable of rough take off/landings ie beach and tundra, that could pack 2 people or 1 and a deer. Anyone know of any that fit that bill, all I have seen on the internet are for airstrips or flat fields I would appreciate a heads up.

/ Calling all pilots.... #22  
Heck with the cruise Dan, fly your own plane, that is the fun way to see Ak.

Yea that flying thing is another addiction that I am afraid I might get bit by if I get started. What I am looking for is something capable of rough take off/landings ie beach and tundra, that could pack 2 people or 1 and a deer. Anyone know of any that fit that bill, all I have seen on the internet are for airstrips or flat fields I would appreciate a heads up.

It is definitely addictive. I built and fly a Zenith 701 powered by a Rotax 912S. It is a rough field plane that is capable of very short take offs and landings. It is a landing limited aircraft with leading edge slats. My take off roll solo is less than 200'. 2 up it's about 300'. My best landing to-date is 30'. However, it is a slow, very light (637 lbs. dry weight). All up weight is 1230 Lbs. It is a VFR aircraft. I have a friend who flew one from Florida to Wasilla, but that's not for me. My ideal plane for this type of flight would be a Cessna 180 IFR equipped. Good short field capabilities, large payload, and an all weather aircraft. I toyed with flying to Alaska a couple of years ago and possibly buying an old 180 (all 180's are old). However, the economy and 100LL are both working against such an adventure. I can take the cruise, kick back and enjoy a good drink and the sights for less than the great flying adventure. We are doing some flying once we arrive and I hope to get some right seat time. Heading to Fairbanks eventually to visit my old haunts if they are still there. Been gone since November of 1973.

/ Calling all pilots....
Hey, KYDan and fishcamp... Just remembered who Kyle worked for when he was in Anchorage: AeroTwin. They're the ones who did the 850 conversion for the Caravan.

(Dan, if you get all the way into Denali, say "Hi" to my pal Wally- he runs the lodges there, lives not far from me in the winter. We sold him a lot of the restaurant equipment for the "new" lodge about 25 years ago, when I was in HVAC & Restaurant stuff. Kinda wanted to personally oversee the installation on that one!)

When my student Kyle first got there he had a Stinson- said he still loves that plane, except for the "POS Franklin engine." Sold that, got a Citabria. Brought that back to MN and then got his present 172, which he said has only the case & crank as original engine parts, everything else replaced with new.

He's got some great stories about flying his Stinson with tundra tires, landing on sand bars, etc. Some scary times, too. He now works for WipAire.

He also made me an incredible offer. Said he only got 10 hours on the 172 last summer, because he really likes his (fairly large) sailboat, and hates to let the plane sit.... "How 'bout if I loan it to you for the summer?" he says.:drool::D:drool:

We're putting together just how that might be done.....:D

I might just end up with a real license soon!

/ Calling all pilots.... #24  
Irving
If you have a friend who will "loan" you a 172 I would recomend you jump at it. Assuming that the cost for doing this is within your budget.
Speaking of budgets, if you are thinking of buying a plane, make sure you fully understand what all of the costs will be. These costs will include not only the purchase price but also; fuel, maintenance, insurance, local taxes(if any) tiedown or hanger fees, flight instruction and depreciation.
I don't mean to scare you away from aviation, but learn as much as you can before putting out lots of money.

/ Calling all pilots....
Absolutely, V1. Don't intend to start something I can't keep up (without going in the poorhouse!). Just beginning to learn about the related expenses, but will continue to research.

I'm thinking that the "offer" is far too generous--makes me feel guilty! I will probably go out there to spend some time first. Kyle says he's got a great instructor I could use.

It's true what they say: as a teacher, you can touch and inspire kids for years to come, sometimes in ways you can't imagine. This student has indeed humbled the teacher.

/ Calling all pilots.... #26  
His offer is generous. But, he knows it is actually much better to have someone fly it, than for it to sit.

10 hours in a year, is pretty close to being a "hangar queen". It's hard on the cylinders, cam shaft, instruments, brakes, etc.

If you put 40 or 50 hours on it for him next year, it will be good for the airplane.

I fly lots of different planes for people, it helps keep their maintenance costs down when they are flown regularly.

If you want to thank him, perhaps you can do an avionics upgrade for him?

If it doesn't work out, look for a school that has a 150 you can rent, or consider buying one to learn in.

You can of course learn in a 172, (I did).

But, because a 150 is little more agile, and you don't have to trim it much, is a little easier to learn in. And, since it's cheaper, it's a win win.

/ Calling all pilots....
Latest development.... My next-door neighbor has current certification in both VFR and instrument instructor; said yes, he could work that in to his summer schedule, should the 172 make it back here.:thumbsup:

Looks like I might just be able to "do this thing." I'm excited.:drool:

Sorry to be such a newbie, but I'll try to keep folks updated, if'n y'all are interested.

I've been dreaming about this for almost 50 years, I think. Can't believe it might actually happen. Even more important, wife is on board with this!:D

Tractor might have to take a back seat for a while!:laughing:

/ Calling all pilots.... #28  
Good luck and have some fun!

/ Calling all pilots.... #29  
Sounds good. I could tell you how to pick a good instructor, but since you already have one, I will hope for the best. :thumbsup:

/ Calling all pilots.... #30  
Lots of good advice for you on this thread so far. What Ray said is very true about airplanes needing to be flown on a regular basis in order to keep the maintenance costs down.

Irving, what you said about teachers is true. I worked as a flight instructor for about 10 years and will admit that at times it was frustrating and exhausting, but, the rewards that I got from seeing my students learn was well worth it. I always shared the excitement of a student's first solo or when they passed their checkride to get their license.

Good luck and keep us posted.