Calling all pilots....

/ Calling all pilots.... #1  

irvingj

Elite Member
Tractor
2007 MF GC2310 TLB
Anyone out there have info/opinions/experience with a Zenith CH 601XL-B LSA? An aquaintance has one for sale....and I guess I'm in "dream" mode...

/ Calling all pilots.... #2  
There have been spar issues with the plane. Has the required retrofit been done? There are ADs about this. How many hours, and what engine?

Last edited:
   / Calling all pilots....
I missed it, it's been sold.

Yes, it had had the spar/aileron balance retrofit done. It had 12 out of the 40 required initial hours completed, and had the Jabiru 3300 engine (!), with a fair number of bells & whistles.

Last asking price was 34,900, "or best reasonable offer." I just got word today that it was sold.

Seemed like a good deal; unfortunately, the builder/pilot (apparently an airframe & power plant certified mechanic) had developed a terminal illness and had died after completing the aircraft, the -B retrofit, and only the initial 12 hrs of flight time. The estate was selling it.

I've never had a ticket, but have flown a lot, and was thinking.....:drool:

One of these days, I'll make it. Been dreaming (literally!) of having my own plane for oh, about 45 years.....:rolleyes:

Oh, well... cruising on the motorcycle is close.....:(

/ Calling all pilots.... #4  
I am not a fan of the Jabiru engine, yet. It still needs to prove itself over time. The Rotax is my preferred powerplant for light aircraft at present, but competition is a good thing. Keep looking the 601 is a good design if built, maintained and flown within its design envelope.

/ Calling all pilots.... #5  
sorry I think I may have misunderstood the question, my brother cuts the wood and I "pile it"

/ Calling all pilots.... #6  
I saw one of these having the wing modification done.

Here is my opinion of that wing, even after the mod. :thumbdown:

/ Calling all pilots....
Thanks, Ray & KYDan.

Ray, somehow I figured you'd be into aviation....:laughing:

My former student (who's now an aeronautical engineer) is also a bit skeptical about the CH designs. He maintains there are some cherry --or at least excellent-- 172 types out there in the same price range or a bit higher. His suggestion was to stick with a proven airframe. (His present aircraft is a 1958 "vertical fin" 172 with a new engine.)

/ Calling all pilots.... #8  
I can't see buying a straight tail, Continental underpowered 172. For a few bucks more, you can buy the "modern" version with the more powerful, less expensive to repair, and more powerful Lycoming engine, and the superior cuffed wing design.

I would also strongly recommend you avoid anything that is not entirely painted. Polishing one gets old really fast.

Over the years, I have seen lots of guys try this both ways, (buy a fixer upper vs. one that has been all fixed up). Since there are costs in aviation that cannot be avoided. You will end up spending a certain amount of money no matter what, if you fly it. Especially in this market, you will come out ahead in the end, if you find an aircraft that has good or new paint, a good or new interior, upgraded or new avionics, an engine that has been rebuilt by a reputable company, and has reasonably low time, rather than buying one that needs some or all of this done.

Shop around, lots of real bargains out there right now!

/ Calling all pilots....
Thanks, Ray. I'm not sure if Kyle's 172 still has the original engine, it may have been "upgraded" (?). It was, however, restored and put together by an employee of an engine overhaul place, if I remember correctly. Kyle had a lot of faith in this guy's work.

Here's a pic of one of his latest projects; he was called to Switzerland to check up on or oversee (?) float installation on a Porter.

I'll see if I can find a pic of his 172. It's funny- he calls it an "old lady's plane," but he likes it, says it's very dependable. I think this is his third plane.

He flew it out here from Minneapolis last year, and we took it up the Connecticut River valley and then circled Mt. Washington one afternoon. Took about 2 hrs.

I just did the same today --with my car-- to show my wife's brother & SIL (from MO) our mountains. Covered over 200 miles, with HEAVY traffic. We were out pretty much all day. Man, am I beat!

Oh- guess you could say I'm proud of this "kid"- here's another shot of one of his projects, a conversion for the Cessna Caravan to a Garrett 850shp turbine, while he was in Alaska. The new engine apparently cut fully-loaded takeoff distance off water by 2/3.

Oops- guess the file was too big. Anyway, he was the man on that project.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Kyle & Pilatus.jpg
    Kyle & Pilatus.jpg
    660.5 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC02995.JPG
    DSC02995.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 138
   / Calling all pilots.... #10  
Irving
You say you do not have a pilot's license so I assume if you buy a plane you will be using it to take flight lessons. It may be difficult to find an instructor who will teach in an experimental airplane. As the others have said, it's hard to beat an older 172 thats in good condition.