BX24 rear of HST leaking

/ BX24 rear of HST leaking #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
Has anyone had a leak back there? More relevant - is there a common thing on the back of the HST that leaks on a BX24?

I have a BX24 that I have noticed the whole back of the HST case has accumulated that "dirt that's there because of a leak" kind of look. For the last couple of years I assumed it was most likely from the little red relief valve at the top just blowing off... but this year I had the tractor in the barn to prep the deck and saw a drop of HST fluid on the floor. Clearly more than a blowoff.

I cleaned everything up and started waiting and hunting for a leak. It almost seems like MAYBE it's the RTV gasket around the square plate on the back that's leaking.

And no - it's not the seal around the PTO.

/ BX24 rear of HST leaking #2  
How about the seals on the axle shafts? That is a common problem as they get older/higher hours.

/ BX24 rear of HST leaking #3  
If it is just a drop, 2" diameter or smaller, you may wait a long time as a small amount of oil will create a mess larger than what it actually is. In that case, it could be a drip from an accumulation of blowby or just a very small leak.

/ BX24 rear of HST leaking
How about the seals on the axle shafts? That is a common problem as they get older/higher hours.
nope - it's more central. I'm pretty sure it's the RTV around the back.
I think it's way more work to fix than its currently leaking :) But I will keep my eye on it - I'm fairly certain it's more than the blowoff at this point.

/ BX24 rear of HST leaking #5  
If you have the back hoe connections, take a look at them. I thought I had a leak back there but I think it was just a connection that hadn't seated.

Doug in SW IA