BX24 MMM stand - home made

/ BX24 MMM stand - home made
All - thanks for the complements.

chilly - This thing is a tank. With the length of the shaft and the addition of the hubs on the wheels - center to center of the wheels is almost 16" - you would have to really hit the deck hard to send it over on its side... as a matter of fact, to do the "tip test" you really have to jam the full 200#+ mower up and over to get it far enough that it would continue on over.
As for stress on the tube - I dunno - sure, there is stress there - but when the deck is standing like this the stress points are perpendicular to each other. And really, the only time you exert a shear-force on the pipe is when moving the deck around (minimal). I think it's a solid way to safely store this deck... so, I'd recommend this approach.

/ BX24 MMM stand - home made #12  
That looks like a great idea....now I don't have the expertise OR the access to do the welding. Any ideas on how to fabricate something like this without doing any welding? Maybe get threaded rod or the axle and use nuts to lock things in place?

/ BX24 MMM stand - home made #13  
Vernonator said:
That looks like a great idea....now I don't have the expertise OR the access to do the welding. Any ideas on how to fabricate something like this without doing any welding? Maybe get threaded rod or the axle and use nuts to lock things in place?

Well, you can go to Lowes and buy two 5" deck wheels for about $5 and a couple of bolts and just bolt them to the shaft that your deck wheel is attached. No need to remove anything from the deck.

/ BX24 MMM stand - home made #14  
fishpick

Thanks for answering my questions. I think I will borrow your idea on how you did this and make my own set. Thanks for showing this to us all!!

vernonator - another way to do is to drill the ends of the 1 inch stock and tap it. I have access to a lathe, so I think this is how I'm going to make mine. Unfortuneately I can't weld, so I'm going to use this method instead. You don't need a lathe though, a hand drill can be used as long as you drill the hole somewhat straight down.

Chris

/ BX24 MMM stand - home made #15  
toytruck said:
Well, you can go to Lowes and buy two 5" deck wheels for about $5 and a couple of bolts and just bolt them to the shaft that your deck wheel is attached. No need to remove anything from the deck.

That won't work...I acutally dont have a Kubota...mine is a 54" CubCadet deck, the back anti-scalp setup is a roller bar. I will need to remove the front wheels and replace them....I like the idea of drilling the stock and tapping it. I did contact Larry at moweraxle.com and we are going to try and see if we can get a setup working for my deck.....

/ BX24 MMM stand - home made
To whomever it was that sent me the private message I deleted and didn't respond to:
I took a pipe clamp and held the nut on the end by clamping length wise... lining the nut up as close the center as I could. I then used a small MIG welder to tack the nut to the rod. Then I switched to a big stick welder to ensure the nut and rod became one all the way around. I had the bolt in the nut nut not screwed all the way in - this would allow me to "unscrew" it and keep the threads clean (although the location of the clamp kept them clean).
After the nut was welded onto the end - douse bucket - remove the bolt and use an angle grinder to remove the slag and overweld - and then a bench grinder for the finish grinding.
I then coated them with some oil (keep them from rusting this winter).
Cross-drilling the hole was by eye and drill-press - nothing special there.
As for the bolt in the hub - yes - close - but following the parts I listed in previous posts when the blot gets tight - its actually bottoming out on the rod at the base of the nut - not on the hub... it's a perfect fit.
Message me back if you have any more questions. I'm excited to have so many people interested in doing this simple - cheap - and effective project.