BX24 MMM stand - home made

/ BX24 MMM stand - home made #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
A while ago I posted that I was going to make my own MMM mower stand... well - it's done and works GREAT!
The shafts for the 60" mower spec out at exactly 1" - so I ordered some 1" mild steel stock from onlinemetals.com - awesome service and CHEAP prices.
Bought 4 - 5/8" nuts from TSC and matching 2" bolts. Welded the nuts on the ends of the rod with an old buzz box welder and ground them down to be .99" (less some in spots). Then - taking pneumatic tires (I had some - but the same ones can be had at TSC for $4.88 each) - I bolted them onto the shafts.

Photos are worth a 1000 words... total price to me - $20... if I had to buy the wheels - $40. :D
Mower from front
Wheels up close
Mower belly

/ BX24 MMM stand - home made #2  
One old dolly and some scrap!!!!

I discovered that one side of the wheel bracket was not welded while doing the winter prep so I had to make a repair.

Attachments

• mower deck 005.jpg
    mower deck 005.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 1,088
   / BX24 MMM stand - home made #3  
I was in TSC yesterday looking at the pneumatic wheels and thinking of doing exactly what you did. Looks great

/ BX24 MMM stand - home made #4  
tlsmith85 said:
I was in TSC yesterday looking at the pneumatic wheels and thinking of doing exactly what you did. Looks great

Great minds must think alike! Great job guys...

I would think, one shot of grease, in the zerk, should last the winter :D

Keep up the good work!

Bird

/ BX24 MMM stand - home made #5  
I like the pneumatic tires, because it will be a lot easier to roll over uneven ground. How did you attach them to the axle shafts? What size tire did you use? Thanks Dusty

/ BX24 MMM stand - home made
Welded some 5/8" bolts onto the end of 1" diameter shaft. Then using a bench grinder, ground the welds, bolt tips and slag down to .995".
Using 2" bolts I attached the tires (they have bearings in the hubs and are 5/8" diameter). The tires are between $4 and $5 at TSC - I think they are 8" diameter. And they are pneumatic...
Used a 5/16" bit to make the cross hole to accept the pin to keep the shafts in place.

/ BX24 MMM stand - home made
I dug and dug last night - the part number for the pneumatic tires on this stand at TSC is 3551979 - $4.99 each. They don't come up on their site if you search - but they have big bins of them at all 3 TSC's I have been to in the last few weeks.

/ BX24 MMM stand - home made #8  
thanks for the information. I too have seen those bins of tires and wheels at TSC, but always wondered what people were buying them for. Now I know. Dusty

/ BX24 MMM stand - home made #9  
Fishpick

Nice job on the stand. I have a question for you though. How sturdy is the deck when on the stand. By just looking at the pictures it seems like the mower would be somewhat tippy. Like if something bumped it the mower would go over. Also, does it seem like there is a lot of stress at the point of the one inch tube. I know the deck is very heavy and it seems like a lot of mechanical advantage for the deck to be standing straight up and just have that little area of the one inch tube holding it.

I'm asking these questions because I would like to do the same as you, but would feel more comfortable if I had your opinion on my questions, since it is right in front of you.

Thanks
Chris

/ BX24 MMM stand - home made #10  
Fish,

Nice work on the stand! Should free up some space in the garage.