BX24 electrical system stinks on ice

/ BX24 electrical system stinks on ice #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
I have posted before about the blowing fuses on the BX24 and other random electrical issues... well - had a new one the other day.
Started up the tractor - did a little moving around with the FEL - and when backing it in to park - it just dies. Instant stall. Humm - well - wonder what that was?
Restarted fine... finished backing up the last 2 feet and turned the key off. The Kubota remained running... Yup, great.
OK - fine - turn the key back on - 1/2 twist - glow light on - tractor still running, turn off, still running, remove key... still running...
Dissemble the battery cover that has never fit right... still running... pull fuse box cover and pull the 10A timer fuse - yup - blown... grab the spare 10A fuse... still running... plug that replacement fuse in... tractor shuts down. Now starts and stops as one would expect with the key. Yea Orange.
That's a well designed electrical system FOR SURE!

/ BX24 electrical system stinks on ice #2  
at least you got it figured out before retorting to guesses from others. :thumbsup:

Hey i got an idea, since you are tired of electrical issues on your BX, just drop it off in my driveway and run;)

/ BX24 electrical system stinks on ice
@K7LN - The most amazing part is - this dang tractor has a safety switch for EVERYTHING... it's beyond annoying... yet - this fuse blows and you you CAN'T turn it off... ugh.
@radioman - it's worth more to me with a leaky fuel pump parked in an old shed with bags of fertilizer... :) Thanks for the offer though!

/ BX24 electrical system stinks on ice #4  
What you fail to understand is that most diesel engines need 0...(zero) electricity to run and the solenoid is only powered to kill the engine. The click that you hear after the engine stops is the stop solenoid releasing. The Kubotas use a timer relay that energizes the solenoid when the circuit is interupted ie( key, seat switch etc). One problem is that the wires going to rear of tractor for the work light is on this circuit and gets shorted by being pinched by debries or overloaded by too many lights connected. This causes the fuse to blow and the circuit to collapse triggering the stop solenoid. You could disconnect it all and just put a pull wire on the stop lever but this does not make the goverment regulators happy so Kubote has to be somewhere in between.

David Kb7uns

/ BX24 electrical system stinks on ice
@dkf435 - Thanks for the vote of no confidence in my understanding of diesel engine operation... my point is rather simple - Kubota's electrical system on their BX24 stinks on ice.

/ BX24 electrical system stinks on ice #6  
What you fail to understand is that most diesel engines need

No, actually it is apparent he understands quite well.

The worst electrical problems are the intermittent ones. Good luck Fish...

/ BX24 electrical system stinks on ice #7  
One problem is that the wires going to rear of tractor for the work light is on this circuit and gets shorted by being pinched by debries or overloaded by too many lights connected. This causes the fuse to blow and the circuit to collapse triggering the stop solenoid.

Not according to the service manual. The work light circuit is on its own 20 amp fuse and is the only thing on that fuse...
Of course the manual could be wrong...but thats what it shows in the schematic.

I think the vast majority of us have had no electrical problems from the BX24s...I know I haven't, knock on wood.

/ BX24 electrical system stinks on ice #8  
Go back far enough and you will find posts where people did connect lights to the connectors under the seat on some of the BX tractors and that circuit is tied to the fuse for the timer relay, may be changed on newer one.

David Kb7uns

/ BX24 electrical system stinks on ice #9  
Go back far enough and you will find posts where people did connect lights to the connectors under the seat on some of the BX tractors and that circuit is tied to the fuse for the timer relay, may be changed on newer one.

David Kb7uns

No doubt people have hooked to "the connectors under the seat" but we don't know if they hooked to the correct ones:D
I think Bxpanded alluded to this recently about people blowing the shut off/safety circuits fuse when they get the wrong wires/connector.:ashamed:

/ BX24 electrical system stinks on ice #10  
I have posted before about the blowing fuses on the BX24 and other random electrical issues... well - had a new one the other day.
Started up the tractor - did a little moving around with the FEL - and when backing it in to park - it just dies. Instant stall. Humm - well - wonder what that was?
Restarted fine... finished backing up the last 2 feet and turned the key off. The Kubota remained running... Yup, great.
OK - fine - turn the key back on - 1/2 twist - glow light on - tractor still running, turn off, still running, remove key... still running...
Dissemble the battery cover that has never fit right... still running... pull fuse box cover and pull the 10A timer fuse - yup - blown... grab the spare 10A fuse... still running... plug that replacement fuse in... tractor shuts down. Now starts and stops as one would expect with the key. Yea Orange.
That's a well designed electrical system FOR SURE!

I haven't looked but can a choke cable be rigged to the soleonid as a shut off like some construction equipment has?

tom